2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2011 8:52 AM by bbfrench

Is it possible to add a preloader to show while the graphics are loading?

bbfrench Level 1

I created a web site that has quite a few show/hide divs to work with the navigational menu on the left, which I believe is making the site load slowly. Is it possible to add a preloader to show up until the site is fully loaded?

The site originally had a flash movie that was set to load automatically. I removed this thinking it would make the site load quicker but it didn't help much.

Here is the URL:  http://www.keystonewalls.com

Any advice?

• 1. Re: Is it possible to add a preloader to show while the graphics are loading?
          MurraySummers Level 8

I created a web site that has quite a few show/hide divs to work with the navigational menu on the left, which I believe is making the site load slowly. Is it possible to add a preloader to show up until the site is fully loaded?

What's making that page load slowly is the 57 hits on the server to request images, and the combined weight of those images (~3.3MB).  Surely you don't need so many images.  The menu could be done all text for starters.  Note also that there is still a 120K Flash object being loaded.  Add to this weight the incredibly voluminous CSS (oodles of absolute positioning), and the table-based approach, and you have made a simple layout into a lumbering behemoth!

FirefoxScreenSnapz002.jpg

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is it possible to add a preloader to show while the graphics are loading?
            bbfrench Level 1

I went back and reduced the file size of the 20 show/hide images by almost half and I plan on rebuilding the navigational menu with text. Hopefully, this should help but is there an answer to my question regarding a page preloader? Or are they used only with flash/movie type files?