3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2011 11:11 PM by Xiaoyi Tong

Add a classpath for as3 in the users Flash preferences?

Michael_#$% Level 1

Is this possible in the mxi file?

Or do I attach another "self executing file" to it?

Is there anyway I can add a bash file into the mxp file that gets executed upon installation?

I have installed 2 mxp's at work form 2 different companies, and both edit my classpath, so I'm wondering how it's done?

I presume you can not run a jsfl script by itself? (it needs to be executed, hence a shell script would come in handy...)

• 1. Re: Add a classpath for as3 in the users Flash preferences?
          Xiaoyi Tong Adobe Employee

I think you can create your own extensions, or create hybrid extensions based on extensions you have( native C++ plug-in or script files can be attached ). I don't know which product and version you are using, but I suggest you check the document below.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/extensionmanager/cs/using/MXI_tech_note.pdf

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Add a classpath for as3 in the users Flash preferences?
            Michael_#$% Level 1

Hi Xiaoyl,

thanks for the posting.

I can't find anything about how to alter the users preference files or execute a file at installation time.

The C++ solution is beyond my reach.

I'm wondering if, instead of distributing an mxp file, I should look into this :

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/extensionmanager/cs/using/WSB4845EDD-14E5-476a-B749-FF328830D1 4F.html

and see if I can distribute a shell file that installs the mxp file AND writes to the preference file.

• 3. Re: Add a classpath for as3 in the users Flash preferences?
              Xiaoyi Tong Adobe Employee

Hi Michael,

Generally speaking, there are 2 ways to install extensions: by extension manager( it is for most cases ), or by product installation( it is for preinstalled extensions ). Yours should be the first case, right? So far, extension manager does not support running bash/executable file in extension installation. What it does is just unpackaging, copying and configuring. But you can do something in your extensions. For example, adding a classpath in the first lunch of your extensions. It is can be done by flex or by native code( you can call them in flex ). Does it make sense? BTW, Below are some info for your reference.

There are 3 kinds of extensions:

1. Ordinary extensions:

Any Adobe product-specific extension or plug-in that extends the functionality of an Adobe application— such as a Dreamweaver extension or a Photoshop C++ plug-in.

2. Creative Suite extensions (hereafter called CS extensions):

Flash-based extensions that can be installed and run in multiple Creative Suite applications, built using the Creative Suite SDK. A CS extension must be a ZXP file, but it doesn't require an extension installation (.mxi) file. You can’t create a CS extension with Extension Manage.

3. Hybrid extensions:

A package that contains both files that can be contained in an ordinary extension and a CS extension. Hybrid extensions are used when the feature developed needs both a Creative Suite Flash-based component and a native C++ plug-in or script file. This allows developers to build extensions with rich Flash-based interfaces and still take advantage of the extended native integration with the application.

Consider the following when determining whether to use the ZXP or MXP format to package your extensions:

If you want to create an ordinary extension, you can use either ZXP or MXP.

If your extension is not designed for CS4 and earlier, you should use ZXP.

If you want to create a hybrid extension, you should use ZXP.

If you want to digitally sign the extension, you must use ZXP.