4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2011 2:56 AM by Peter Spier

running numbers

CoGordo4 Level 1

I am makeing a flyer that needs to have a serial number that counts up on each page. I know it can be done with variable text and master pages but I am not quite sure how. Can anyone clue me in?

• 1. Re: running numbers
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Probably not a variable, but a placed number list.

What's the number range, and how is this getting printed?

• 2. Re: running numbers
            CoGordo4 Level 1

Well it's an auction form and I believe the numbers start at 900. I think I might have discribed the project poorly the first time. The form has a number at the top. What I was looking to do was create a file with a master page and then every page of the document would be a differnt number. Similar to page numbers. I am printng the file at digital printer using Creo printing software.  I know there is an easy way to do this I just cant remember how.

• 3. Re: running numbers
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CoGordo4,

i'd do it with a paragraph style defined with a numbered list. See the Bullets and Numbering section there.
              Sorry for my german screen shot, but I think you are able to do the translation:RunningNumber_ParagraphStyle.png

Important: if you try do define you starting number the field is greyed out. At default it shows the number "1". You get access to the field if you temporarily switch to "Mode: Begin with", set your starting number and then switch back to "Continue from previous number".

In general numbering follows page order; that should not be a problem for you…
              If you define a new List with "Continue Numbers across Stories" checked, you need not thread all text frames together.
              With "Continue Numbers from Previous Document in Book" checked you can even continue your numbering system in different documents organized by an InDesign book file.

Uwe

• 4. Re: running numbers
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

CoGordo4 wrote:

Well it's an auction form and I believe the numbers start at 900. I think I might have discribed the project poorly the first time. The form has a number at the top. What I was looking to do was create a file with a master page and then every page of the document would be a differnt number. Similar to page numbers. I am printng the file at digital printer using Creo printing software.  I know there is an easy way to do this I just cant remember how.

The most efficient way is to use variable data printing and insert the number list in the print stream, but that might not be available to you.

If not, is this a single page form? If it is, why not just use a current page marker and set page numbering to start at your first number. Make the doc as many pages as you need numbers.