8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2011 8:42 AM by Bill Gehrke

AMD GPU's?

nickkourpias

Hello Premiere Pro forum, I am build a new system that I will be doing both video editing and gaming on so.. I wanted to know it the AMD Radeon 6950 (I would get 2 because they're only $200 each) support the rendering engine of Premiere pro, or should I just get 1 GTX 570 for the smae price on Newegg. Thanks for the help in advance!

-Nick

• 1. Re: AMD GPU's?
          RjL190365 Level 4

Nick,

I'm sorry to say this, but non-Nvidia GPUs are supported only in the extremely slow software-only MPE mode (with absolutely no GPU acceleration whatsoever).

• 2. Re: AMD GPU's?
            nickkourpias Level 1

Thank you for your answer, will I be able to use a SLI setup with a 560ti, then because that would be about the same price as the 570, or will the 570 have to be used, last question, thank you.

• 3. Re: AMD GPU's?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

NO dual GPU's at all, whether separate or in SLI. Only ONE card is used. The other one is unemployed and does not qualify for welfare.

• 4. Re: AMD GPU's?
                nickkourpias Level 1

Fair enough, I was going to use the system for gaming as well so, will the 560ti work at all?

• 5. Re: AMD GPU's?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes. For gaming use another computer.

• 6. Re: AMD GPU's?
                    nickkourpias Level 1

I do not have enough money to buy two desktops. I would love to have a system with a 560ti, I am going to assume your yes was that it will work, so I am going to get the system with the dual 560ti's since I plan to be editing a lot of vidoes from the games I am playing. Thank you.

• 7. Re: AMD GPU's?
                      RjL190365 Level 4

If your budget is that low and you have to accommodate any gaming at all whatsoever, you might as well not get any prosumer video editing program such as Premiere Pro. Instead, you might as well settle for a cheapo $100 consumer editing program that cannot take anywhere near full advantage of recent systems because they are strictly 32-bit. This is because of several requirements:

First, a prosumer editing program requires multiple fast internal hard drives as separate volumes for best performance.

Second, any gaming software will severely degrade the overall performance of a prosumer video editor: A system with even three games installed will perform as much as three times slower (as indicated by the RPI factor in the PPBM5 benchmark results list) than an otherwise identical system with no games at all whatsoever installed. This is because some games often install bloatware that cannot be easily disabled.

• 8. Re: AMD GPU's?
                        Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Do not plan on using SLI with those dual cards as Premiere Pro does not like that.