10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2011 9:23 AM by the_wine_snob

I have lost the audio 1 track for my video

sdjjbskjbvkjabsvbw

HELP, I spent all of today editing a video, and then realised that there was no audio 1 track there.

I captured the footage from my HDV camera onto Premiere Elements 7 (Windows XP). I then went about spending many hours re-arranging the footage, and with it about 90% done I find that there is no audio.

I checked the recorder HD Mpeg and there is audio there. I am not sure if I may have done something wrong?

I cannot seem to find any place to trun the audio back on.

I am very frustrated and wish to try and save the work I ahve already done on it.

Any help would be great.

I have edited another clip last week using the same camera and settings, so it should not be a hardware issue of the camera, and the system should not have changed??

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: I have lost the audio 1 track for my video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is a tape-based HDV camcorder, right?

When you captured your video, was the audio captured also? Can you locate the original captured video on your hard drive? When you play it with a program like Windows Media Player, does it have audio?

It's important to determine if the file was captured with its audio and, if so, then figure out what you did to delete the audio in your project.

• 2. Re: I have lost the audio 1 track for my video
            sdjjbskjbvkjabsvbw Level 1

Yes the original file that was recorded onto my HD does have audio, which is why I thought that it must, or might be something simple, that could let me recover the audio onto the already edited production?

I already thought to check, it seems that the program just decided it didn't want audio??

I edited another video last week with the same exact setup and it had audio and was fine. So that is why I wondered if I may have selected something by mistake.

Unfortunately during the capture process the computer did not give me a preview of what it captured, so I did not notice it for a while.

Thanks,

John

• 3. Re: I have lost the audio 1 track for my video

When you double-click on the video clip in your Project panel, it will open in the Preview panel. Does the clip play with audio there?

And are you only having trouble with this one clip? All of the other audio plays fine in your movie, right?

Again, we're trying to determine if the problem is with this particular clip or if you've done something while editing. So any troubleshooting you can do at your end will be helpful.

• 4. Re: I have lost the audio 1 track for my video

Steve,

This is where I think there is an issue, and it may be more the computer; The vido clip in the project panel, for this and the previous edit, both are not showing a still of the vision, and when you double click on them it comes up with the box that the clip is missing.

I then tey and re-link it and it will not take the link. YET, the video in the timeline is still there?

It for some reason seems corrupted. I tried to start another project like was suggested in a previous forum line and it does not have audio either??

John

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 07:50:11 -0600

To: johnfreedman@hotmail.com

Subject: I have lost the audio 1 track for my video

When you double-click on the video clip in your Project panel, it will open in the Preview panel. Does the clip play with audio there?

And are you only having trouble with this one clip? All of the other audio plays fine in your movie, right?

Again, we're trying to determine if the problem is with this particular clip or if you've done something while editing. So any troubleshooting you can do at your end will be helpful.

>

• 5. Re: I have lost the audio 1 track for my video

Are you sure the file is on your hard drive? Is it on your C drive or an an external hard drive?

What happens when you try to relink to it?

• 6. Re: I have lost the audio 1 track for my video

STeve,

it is on an external passport drive, when I try to relink it it does not seem to want to pick it up.

I have a second computer with PE on it, so I tried uploading it to that one in case it was a simple corrupted program issue, it too did not have an audio one track. So it was like it was either deleted ? If so can I recover it, or is it a case of starting again, I was hoping that may be a box I can tick to recover the audio??

As I said the audio is on the file, it is like the audio was switched off as part of the edit????

Thanks

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 08:57:46 -0600

To: johnfreedman@hotmail.com

Subject: I have lost the audio 1 track for my video

Are you sure the file is on your hard drive? Is it on your C drive or an an external hard drive?

What happens when you try to relink to it?

>

• 7. Re: I have lost the audio 1 track for my video

External drives can be tricky on Windows machines. Sometimes Windows assigns a fresh drive letter to it, and all of your links to the old drive letter break.

That could be the case here. Or you could have a corrupted file -- or it could be a combination of both.

The easiest solution is just try moving this particular video clip to your C drive and then connect it to your project. That should at least solve your link issue.

Also, try permanently mapping your external drive by assigning a letter to it. You can do this by selecting Map Network Drive from the right-click menu on My Computer.

As for is your video file is corrupted or your audio is just toggled off, I can't say because you still haven't told me the results of our troubleshooting. You'll need to experiment to find out what's up.

Also, when you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? They can affect how your audio is handled.

• 8. Re: I have lost the audio 1 track for my video

The settings are 1440 X 1080. It was recorded using the HDV on the import panel and the camera a Sony FX-1000 was connected via firewire.

It was one long file about 42 minutes worth. So it is all in one file.

I used the scissor function to isolate shots and then deleted some using the delete and close function. I may have by mistake highlighted he audio track, if I hit delete, could that have done this?? I am ot sure I did that, but it is the only thing that I can think of??

Is there a relink audio function in Elements???

Or is it going to be quicker to go out and start again, I have spend possibly half as long trying to work out what the problem is, than to go out and start again?

Thanks

• 9. Re: I have lost the audio 1 track for my video

If you're file is unlinked, you're getting a notice whenever you open the project that a file is missing. A browse screen will also open asking your help locating the file.

Just browse to it and it will relink to your project.

• 10. Re: I have lost the audio 1 track for my video
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I have a second computer with PE on it, so I tried uploading it to that one in case it was a simple corrupted program issue, it too did not have an audio one track.

Depending on the channels in the Audio Stream, the Audio portion might not go onto Audio Track 1. This can happen, when one has, say a mono/1-channel Audio Stream. PrE will create a 1-channel Audio Track, below the existing Audio Tracks, that match that Audio Stream. One would need to use the scroll bars on the far right of the Timeline, to scroll down to see it. This ARTICLE goes into more detail on channel-count.

One quick test, to see if there ARE other Audio Tracks, that are just not seen, without scrolling, is to change the view of the Timeline to Show Audio Tracks, only, and then with the Video Tracks hidden, look at all Audio Tracks.

Also, when working with Audio, PrE must Conform the Audio Stream to 32-bit, floating point, 16-bit. If this Conforming is interrupted, issues can occur. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

It would also be useful for troubleshooting, if you would run one of the original files (with the Audio) in either G-Spot, or MediaInfo, to get the full details of the Audio Stream.

Last, when working with externals, this ARTICLE might offer some useful tips.

Good luck, and let us know all about the Audio Stream in the original files,

Hunt