3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2011 11:45 AM by JBrown321

Render farm issues with AE CS5

JBrown321 Level 1

Hello, we are trying to setup a render farm with 7 computers that are all connected to a newtwork. All systems are running the AE CS5 render engine and all fonts and effects have been installed on each system. Each system is looking at the watch folder which we created on a network servor. I make sure in the render settings to enable multimachine rendering and to check the skip existing files(allows multi-machine rendering) option.  I then collect the files and I make sure to enable watch folder rendering and also check the number of machines that will be rendering. I make sure that collect source files for selected comps is also selected. So when I send out the files to the watch folder, some of the computers will see and start rendering the comp and sometimes they will not. it appears to be random. Is this normal? I have tried changing settings in the memory and multiprocessing section of preferences on the render engines and seems to work right when that is not enabled. It's funny because when i render straight from my computer alone, it renders considerably faster than when 3, 4 or even 5 systems are running together. Now my system is using a raid system settup as raid 0 with  3 drives. I have even tried setting up the watch folder inside of that raid0 in the main system and it does not seem to increase speed with the render farm rendering there. Any thoughts or tips that anyone has with render farms would be great!

• 1. Re: Render farm issues with AE CS5
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I have tried changing settings in the memory and multiprocessing section of preferences on the render engines and seems to work right when that is not enabled.

Well, not to state the obvious: Then don't use MP?! It's actually pretty clear: You have effects in your projects that are dependent on temporal magic and/or are in some way generally not MP or network render safe (MB Looks anyone?). Therefore the issues appear to be pretty much what you can expect - it's all running in quirks mode and because of the intense network activity e.g. when a temporal effect needs to decode multiple frames for analysis and may block a source clip, you are seeing timeouts where the otehr instances never kick in. I'm afraid this goes beyond just looking for a technical cause. This may be inherent in your whole workflow and the way you structure your projects...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Render farm issues with AE CS5
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As Mylenium says, don't use Render Mutliple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing when rendering with mutliple computers across a network.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Render farm issues with AE CS5
              JBrown321 Level 1

Thank you guys for your help. Sorry for the delay, I was distracted by the earthquake we had on the East coast! Take care!