4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2011 9:41 AM by Kurrykid

Keyboard Available in the Emulators?

Kurrykid Adobe Community Professional

I am trying to add the keyboard so that it shows up when a text input box gets focus but it doesn't work.  I have followed the information given in the procedures (i.e. modifying the *app.xml file).  I have tried emulating with both iOS and Google devices and it's not showing up so I wanted to make sure that the emulator does display the keyboard?

If so, any suggestions?

I have also tried putting it in the application tags so that the keyboard would show up immediately and I also tried adding the code to a button...nothing works.

Thanks.

Dave

• 1. Re: Keyboard Available in the Emulators?
          Shongrunden Adobe Employee

Do you mean the iOS/Android emulators or the ADL simulator built into Flash Builder?

If you mean the ADL simulator in Flash Builder it does not currently support soft keyboard and you will need to launch onto a physical device to use that.

• 2. Re: Keyboard Available in the Emulators?

That's exactly what I was referring to...thanks.

I am curious how people are testing this capability without owning the phones?  Surely you don't need both (an iPhone and Android phone).  I know development houses are probably able to justify spending money on "dev phones" but what about the little guys out there developing...what are you using?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Keyboard Available in the Emulators?
              Shongrunden Adobe Employee

If you are deploying to iOS I highly recommend you test on an actual iOS device because the simulator is completely different.  Just because something works in the simulator doesn't mean it will work on the physical device it is imitating.  I recommend having one device from each platform you intend to target to test with.  Then you can use the simulator to test other devices within that platform (where the only real differences are screensize + screen DPI).

I personally use an iPod Touch as my iOS testing device as it is much cheaper than the iPad/iPhone.

• 4. Re: Keyboard Available in the Emulators?

I have an iPod Touch...I'll test on that but to do that I think I need to get the Apple developer's license.  I was trying to hold off on that until I had a little more development done but it looks like it's time.

Thanks for the help Shongrunden.

Dave