4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2011 2:01 AM by Harry Hemus

I need to export to swf, but I also need to link to other documents from that swf

Harry Hemus Level 1

I am using InDesign CS5, and have had some success in exporting to swf ... with one noteable exception.

I have been able to link to videos which get automatically placed in the resultant 'resources' folder which accompanies the exported swf and html file, but no matter how I try, even if I place a couple of pdf's into the same resources folder and re- export the swf with those 'apparent' links, it will only work if I launch the html file   BUT NOT IF I LAUNCH THE SWF !

I guessed that this would have been some kind of security thing, so I zipped it all up, and  asked a colleague to do his thing to upload it all to his sever.

Again the videos streamed perfectly, but thos pdf's lcated in the same folder simply would not launch

What on earth am I doing wrong ?????

Harry

• 1. Re: I need to export to swf, but I also need to link to other documents from that swf
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You'll probably have to wait until Petteri Paananen replies. No one else who frequents here regularly has taken SWF export as far as he has. He work with a product called eDocker made for working with SWF exported files. (www.edocker.com)

• 2. Re: I need to export to swf, but I also need to link to other documents from that swf
            Petteri_Paananen Level 4

Are you saying you want to launch PDF on page load... when user enters the page, PDF opens up immideately?

You can´t do that directly in InDesign but if you have Flash Professional, you can create a button with one line of code, export it as SWF, place that SWF to indesign page and make it autoplay. The code inside the button will be triggered when user enters the page and it will open up a browser and loads your PDF to browser window...

If you want to try it yourself

1) Create new ActionScript3 file in Flash Professional, you can make it quite small, something like 30x30px

2) Dont put anything to stage if yiou want that element to be invisible in your layout

3) Select first (and only keyframe) and open Window > Actions

4) Write foloowin line in code editor:

navigateToURL(new URLRequest("http://www.mydomain.com/MyPDF.pdf"), "_blank");

Replace http://www.mydomain.com/MyPDF.pdf with actual working URL that points to your PDF

5) Export file as SWF

6) Place SWF to correct page and keep it selected

7) Open Media panel and make your SWF play on page load

Thats it... now you can try to export your SWF and try it out, remember that you may have to upload it server before it starts to work. And remember also that you have to keep your exported indesign SWF and resources folder together all the time. (If you have placed videos or SWF files into indesign layourt, resources folder will be generated automatically. InDesigns stores all the placed media files into that folder and loads them dynamically from there at runtime).

• 3. Re: I need to export to swf, but I also need to link to other documents from that swf
              Harry Hemus Level 1

Good morning Peter and thank you.

However, I do not want to open an external pdf ( or any other external file for that matter ) on the swf page load, I simply want to use the *buttons I have created with InDesign to launch those items from different pages inside my exported swf.

All of the functionality and facility to do that appears to be part of the InDesign UI ... but clearly this is not the case.

I need to send a complete finished job ( all zipped up with all the resources ) so that the client can simply upload the swf, the html etc to their site, but prior to that, I would have no knowledge of their URL addresses of the assets to include in the *buttons.

I have no real knowlege of Flash or Actionscript

Kind regards

Harry

www - dividiprojects - dot - com

• 4. Re: I need to export to swf, but I also need to link to other documents from that swf
                Harry Hemus Level 1

Ok Steve thanks

See my reply to Petteri

You should know that I am really REALLY pulling my hair out now

Harry

Dividi Projects  -  Interactive & Digital Media Authoring

www.dividiprojects.com

m: +44 (0) 7837 408164