3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2011 11:52 AM by Joel Cherney

Foreign TransIndic, Devanagari Arabic Fonts

luchty

Looking for a solution for doing an ebook through INDESIGN 5.5 with these fonts..
      I've made several ebooks so far, however limiting font options have got me stumped.
      Does anybody have a suggestion, besides a PDF?
      Thanks, Uie

I also tried to embed this font: TransIndicGara etc. in an ebook with NO success.
      Here's the CSS embedding code I'm using:
      @font-face {
      font-family : "Adobe Garamond Pro";
      font-style : italic ;
      font-weight : normal;
      src : url("fonts/AGaramondPro-Italic.otf");
      }
      @font-face {
      font-family : "TransIndicGaraCant";
      font-style : normal;
      src : url("fonts/TransIndicGaraCant.otf");
      }
      @font-face {
      font-family : "DevanagariExtLA";
      font-style : normal;
      src : url("fonts/DevanagariExtLA.otf");
      }etc. etc. etc.

BK01877_PLO.jpg

attachment.png

• 1. Re: Foreign TransIndic, Devanagari Arabic Fonts
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are those TransIndic font by any chance from Linguist's Software? Of all type foundries that make fonts for complex or non-Latin scripts, they are the foundy which I most love to hate. Have you filled out your special Permission to Embed in PDF form? I doubt it applies to epub, and I betcha that if you ask they will tell you so. Probably in the negative, I'd suppose.

If you have any freedom in font choice, it's worth some work to get their fonts out of all of your projects.

• 2. Re: Foreign TransIndic, Devanagari Arabic Fonts
            luchty Level 1

Yes, these fonts are from Lin'goon'stics. We have a font embed license for print and PDF's. They also designed a "custom" version of TransIndic(can) for us. I spoke to them for 50min yesterday with no solution. Unfortunatly this book is already publish,, so a font subtitue is kinda outta the question, unless I could find another maker/vendor etc. Thanks for you comment, Luchty.

• 3. Re: Foreign TransIndic, Devanagari Arabic Fonts
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, it wasn't even really a suggestion - just a kneejerk reaction on my part. Glad they gave you the embedding license! (Eight years ago it was pretty much impossible; glad to hear that times have changed.)

Fortunately, there are people hanging out here who actually do make epubs, and hopefully one of them will post something for you to try.