13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2011 4:34 PM by nantoskey

mem test 86

nantoskey

DANG ... I thought I had figured out my freeze up issues on my new cs5.5 build ... but no such luck.

I can edit just fine now ... but exporting media is not happy. It freezes up, gives me NVIDEA "openGL errors", and sometimes I get red flickering squares.

ANYWAY ... I have submitted a ticket with EVGA and they had me do some various tests ... one of which is "memtest86" to check my 24gb of ram.

Well, I did get 8 errors, though it froze up 80% into it.

HAVE PEOPLE USED THIS TEST?  I'm guessing this means some bad ram is probably the culpit and my next step is getting it replaced?

memTest86.jpg

--NAN

• 1. Re: mem test 86
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Nan

Try moving the high bank to the low bank and rerun the memory test.

• 2. Re: mem test 86
            nantoskey Level 1

Thanks Bill. 

Excuse my ignorance ... but are you saying I should pull out the first and last sticks and swap them?

-NAN

Nan Toskey

www.MEDIAtoRemember.com

• 3. Re: mem test 86

You have xix modules they are identified by (A1, A2), (B1,  B2) and (C1, C2).  Try just reversing the 1's and the 2"s.  It may be a long shot but it is worth a try.

• 4. Re: mem test 86
                nantoskey Level 1

Uh oh ... were they supposed to be inserted in a definitive order?  They all looked the same regarding labeling ... so we just put them in.

-NAN

Nan Toskey

www.MEDIAtoRemember.com

• 5. Re: mem test 86
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

The modules aren't identified as such, the slots are.

• 6. Re: mem test 86

No there is no order but just a slight bit of timing difference between the two banks of memory might favor one setup of the other setup.  Another way to diagnose your problem would be to find if you can successfully operate with just say 12 GB. Your motherboard manual shows how to insert just 3 modules.  Then you could try four modules and finally five modules to eliminate the defective module.

Did you get one set of six or two sets of 3?  The manufacturer will generally want the whole set returned.

• 7. Re: mem test 86
                      JEShort01 Level 4

Nan,

Here's what I would suggest if you want to get your current RAM to work quickly:

1) Change RAM voltage setting from 1.65 v to 1.5 (bios setting)

2) Change memory multiplier to lower your effective RAM speed to 1333 MHz or less (also a bios setting)

Why? It's complicated, but to summarize, lots of RAM and higher voltages stress the memory controller portion of your CPU. I run a different motherboard and different RAM but I can say that my rig does not like running the RAM much over 1.5V.

Also, per Kingston's web site the RAM that you have is rated for 1600 MHz at 1.65 volts and 1333 MHz at 1.5 volts. Another tidbit, one of the 7 Newegg reviews for your exact RAM and motherboard model said that the combination did not work for him.

Good luck!

Jim

• 8. Re: mem test 86
                        nantoskey Level 1

Very interesting!  I will try this and report back.

I had to switch to the Kingston at the last minute so it would fit with my noctua cooler ... and was compatible with raid controller and mobo.  It is approved for all ... but of course that don't make it a match made in heaven.

-NAN

Nan Toskey

www.MEDIAtoRemember.com

• 9. Re: mem test 86
                          Islanders66 Level 1

I running an Asus x58 MB with same spec RAM.. 24 GB 12800 DR3 1600 without any issues on Memtest. I did switch it to 1.5 volts when I ran Memtest but it was also working fine at 1.65 v. The RAM brand is G.Sill if that makes any difference. I overclocked it to 4.0 ghz and the RAM setting (memory multiplier) is about 1550.

I would test with 2 sticks at a time to see if any are defective.

I have returned RAM to NewEgg.

Not much advice to offer but thought this might be useful.

Edit: I'm also using a 1200 gold power supply. Don't know if that could make a difference? Voltage drop perhaps?

• 10. Re: mem test 86
                            nantoskey Level 1

Thank you Islander ... I am very happy to hear that. 

I lowered voltage and memory multiplier ... but still hung up in Media Encoder.

Must be bad RAM?  It was a matched set of 6 ... so all would need to be replaced which is a real SOB with my noctua cooler.

ANOTHER THOUGHT is that I have not updated bios (current is ver 0502).  According to the mobo manual, it really warned against changing bios ... unless there is a problem.  That should probably be next step before replacing RAM? 

-NAN

Nan Toskey

www.MEDIAtoRemember.com

• 11. Re: mem test 86
                              nantoskey Level 1

OK ... memtest came out fine with lower voltage and RAM setting.

But exporting media freezes up with nvidia open GL errors.

how do you diagnose the video card?

Anyone use memtest G80? As requested my EVGA,  I went through the motions but it did not give me any report ... just blank prompt.  Does this mean it's OK?

I want to rule out the card before I change my bios

-NAN

Nan Toskey

www.MEDIAtoRemember.com

• 12. Re: mem test 86

Sound more like a driver problem to me.  If you have the latest nVidia driver (not EVGA) you might go to the archive and download a previous one.  I believe the suggestion is delete the old driver reboot to safe mode and install the new one to make sure you do not have any remnants left over.

• 13. Re: mem test 86
                                  nantoskey Level 1

Hmmm ... "delete the old driver reboot to safe mode and install the new one to make sure you do not have any remnants left over" ... that's a good practice that I have not been doing. 

Maybe at this point I should delete and reinstall (in safe mode) my video & audio drivers?  Any other drivers too?

I did drive sweep and see there are lot of registry stuff that may be remnants in NVIDIA DISPLAY, NVIDIA PHYSX, and REALTEK SOUND.  But I'm not sure, so didn't want to clean them from there.

-NAN

Nan Toskey

www.MEDIAtoRemember.com