3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2011 11:36 AM by Agustin Moran

Export Image without text layer?

Meneptolemus

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Adobe, so I'm hoping you can help me. I recently purchased a PDF product that contains full-page images with a text layer that adds information. When I purchased the product, I assumed that the text layer and image layer would be separate, but this is not the case (though if I had to guess I'd say the PDF was created with multiple layers and saved as one). I need to find a way to export the images/background layer to another image file (so that I can use it on a projector) without the text overlay, if that is possible. I assume there's some way to do it, since if I try to highlight the image it only highlights the text. Everything I've been able to find online so far deals with adding or editing text, and like I said, I'm not exactly proficient in the software. I'm using Adobe Reader 9... does this call for some more in-depth software?

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Export Image without text layer?
          Meneptolemus Level 1

Just to be clear, since I don't think I did a great job of explaining the problem:

I'm not trying to fix a watermark. The images literally have information written over them in a text layer (which is helpful in in every way except for the way that I actually need: to have just the image and not the text layer, without it clearly looking like I've doctored the image).

The PDF in question is for a tabletop RPG product. My gaming group uses a projector instead of a whiteboard or paper, and it's extremely frustrating trying to hand-draw maps to use for the projector. The PDF product is a bunch of maps for the group, except that the publisher brilliantly put the text spoiler information over the images in such a way that it can't be meaningfully used. I'm trying to save a lot of time hand-drawing every map image by exporting an image without the spoiler text.

Thanks in advance.

• 2. Re: Export Image without text layer?
            Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            I'm using Adobe Reader 9...

You may try Adobe Acrobat.

• 3. Re: Export Image without text layer?
              Agustin Moran

Reader will not do what you are looking for, and I doubt the third party software will either.

Do you have Illustrator?

If so there might be a chance it will do what you want......removing the text & leaving image alone.