4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2011 3:59 PM by abbyfvc05

Premiere Elements 9 - file too large

abbyfvc05

When loading high quality pics (5 meg and up) into Elements 9 I get an error message that the file(s) are too big.  Only way around it so far that I have found is to resize my pics before incorporating into Elements 9.

Any other suggestions on how I can get around this.  Any comments are welcomed.

Cheers !!!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - file too large
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I've been recommending for years (both in my books and in the FAQS  to the right of this forum) that you never use a photo larger than 1000x750 pixels in a video project. (For hi-def, you can go as large as 2000x1500.)

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=30

Using a larger photo does not make for better video. Video resolution is video resolution -- and putting a larger or higher definition photo into a project doesn't accomplish anything except slow rendering to a crawl and, more often than not, crash the program.

A 5 megapixel photo is about 1,664,000x1,248,000 -- or nearly 7 times our recommended size.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - file too large
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve.

In PrE, the Scaling algorithms in PS, or PSE, are better, and yield higher quality. This ARTICLE goes into more detail. Note: when originally written, the vast majority of video was SD, at 720 x 480 (NTSC), or 720 x 576 (PAL), but further down the article, mention is made of HD Projects, which run up to 1920 x 1080. That article also goes into detail on doing the Scaling in PS/PSE with automation.

Also, processing overly-large still images is very, very resource intensive, and it only takes a few very large images, before the computer and PrE will choke. This is even true with PrPro CS 5 and 5.5, which now have better Scaling algorithms, but can still suffer with many very large images. It takes a serious NLE workstation, that is perfectly tuned to handle them. If one really needs all those extra pixels, then I strongly recommend that they use After Effects, instead of PrPro, or PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - file too large
              abbyfvc05 Level 1

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers !!!

Alan,

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - file too large
                abbyfvc05 Level 1

Thank you for your help.

Appreciated !!!

Alan,