16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2012 1:07 PM by RjL190365

Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?

AdobeHasIssues Level 1

I just upgraded to CS5.5 Production Premium but I'm still using XP 32bit. That means I had to load the CS4 version of Premiere and After Effects. Sooner or later I'll upgrade to 64bit Win but in the mean time which graphics card will give me the best bang for the buck and still be useful for CS5.5 later? Money isn't an issue, I just don't want to pay for something and not benefit from it. What's worse is Adobe doesn't even list cards newer than the 8800 and Quadro FX for CS4! Weren't GTX cards available before CS5 came out? Do I need to update a file in CS4 apps to make them accept cards for GPU processing?

Adobe and NVIDIA keep pushing the Quadro cards but when you look at the benchmarks it looks like the GTX cards do just as well. I will use the system for gaming sometimes so DX11 is a must. I have a watercooled i7 920 OC @ 4.0GHz and very stable, temps never go above 60C under full load. I have 6GB RAM and use a memory handler to access the RAM over what XP can use, and use it for virtual mem and caches etc. But my current graphics card is a slightly OC'd 9800GT w/512MB. My system doesn't like to scrub video that isn't rendered unless it's at lower resolutions and obviously I'd like rendering to be as fast as possible.

Looking around I see:

GTX560-TI @ $240

GTX570 @ $300

GTX480 @ $300

GTX570 @ $300

GTX580 @ $460

Quadro 4000 @ $550

Quadro 5000 @ $1200

So what's the secret? Where's the sweet spot?

TIA

• 1. Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Mr. Issues,

IMO it is the 570, but check here to decide if the 560 or 580 may be better alternatives for you: http://ppbm5.com/MPE%20Charts.php

• 2. Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?
            JEShort01 Level 4

The "secret" to MPE bliss is to get the video card AND Win7 64bit AND load your CS5.5. I really don't think that the video card would help much running CS4 on 32bit. Regarding which card, I'd say the sweet spot since you want to game and use CS5.5 would be to go with a GTX 480 with two or three fans (single fan reference design is too LOUD). Also, if you are not going to Win7 right away, delay your purchase and the next GEN of NVidia will be closer or out and you may either want one of the new smaller die-size cards or you could benefit form lower prices on what's available today.

Jim

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do not get an almost obsolete GTX 400 series they are being discontinued.  Go with the GTX 500 series because they use less power than the 400 series.

The rumor on the new and much improved GTX 600 series cards is November/December

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?
                AdobeHasIssues Level 1
                function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

JEShort01 wrote:

The "secret" to MPE bliss is to get the video card AND Win7 64bit AND load your CS5.5. I really don't think that the video card would help much running CS4 on 32bit. Regarding which card, I'd say the sweet spot since you want to game and use CS5.5 would be to go with a GTX 480 with two or three fans (single fan reference design is too LOUD). Also, if you are not going to Win7 right away, delay your purchase and the next GEN of NVidia will be closer or out and you may either want one of the new smaller die-size cards or you could benefit form lower prices on what's available today.

Jim

So you're saying on Win32 and CS4 Pr, Ae, AME, the graphics card doesn't matter at all? That I won't see any improvement over my 512MB 9800GT?

If I was to narrow it down even farther, the most important aspect would be in the "preview" performance. I can always render when I'm not using the system but sometimes the preview windows hang while working on a project. The problem worsens as the resolution increases or as the project gets more complicated. I had the same problem with PP1.5 which is why I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to see if a newer version would help.

Cooling isn't an issue as long as a water block is available for my next card. I've read the 570 & 580 may be the same reference layout and use the same coolers, I'm still looking into that. I know I can liquid cool the 480, 560TI, 580. I have no idea about the Quadro's, I've never seen a block for those.

I'd like to go to Win64 but other software etc is keeping me from getting there soon. I'm looking into dual booting but have read about lots of problems with folder/file sharing issues when going from XP to Win7. I keep all files/projects on a seperate drive and some are shared over a network. If MS hasn't solved the sharing issues I'm forced to stick with XP. I have too many files that need read/write access and Win7 is stated to set all shares to read only. I'm still researching if it's been resolved.

So it's important to know if anything will help CS4 because as stated above, it'll make more sence to wait for the next gen cards for use in CS5.5.

The bottom line is, I built this system from the ground up just a few years ago before Win64 was so popular. I used the very best components (the 9800GT is actually the lowest componet I bought because gaming wasn't that important at the time). I'm running steady overclocked @ 4.0 and boot from an SSD drive. The data drives are 7200RPM and I bought the fastest RAM I could at the time. Obviously people were editing happily a few years ago on equipment inferior to mine. What's the catch? What am I missing to run smoothly on Win32? I'm assuming it's the graphics card because it's the only place I skimped. Maybe I have a software conflict keeping any version of Pr from working smoothly.

Being 3 gens behind, and mediocre at that, I thought the card might be a good place to start.

• 5. Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Using CS4, any $ 30 video card is great and you will not get any performance gain from a $ 500 or $1K+ card. It only matters when using Win7 64 and CS5+.

• 6. Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?
                    AdobeHasIssues Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Using CS4, any $ 30 video card is great and you will not get any performance gain from a $ 500 or $1K+ card. It only matters when using Win7 64 and CS5+.

So what's with Adobe and Nvidia pushing the Quadro cards if they don't really matter? From what I understand it's more of a driver issue than hardware. Supposedly nobody has figured out a way to softmod the newer GTX cards to use the Quadro drivers.

And you're in agreement that a GTX card will work just as good as or close to a Quadro when I go to CS5.5?

What are your thoughts on why the CS4 preview has trouble? Any tweaks or issues you know about I can check. Like I said, this system "should" be able to handle simple NLE for the average consumer. Maybe I have a bottleneck somewhere or a driver or codec conflict. Should I run the PPBM4 benchmark to see where I stand? Would the results help me find where my issues lie or just tell me how my system rates?

Sorry so many questions at once. I really appreciate everyones help.

• 7. Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1st, read this FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/618075 plus the links inside that message

If you have a Mac, your options are very limited... for a PC, just about any nVidia card will work (sometimes with a simple change to a text file) if the card has 1Gig of video memory

I **think** the Quadro cards have a different/added output connector and/or internal processing (you will have to find a discussion) but that is only useful if you have a particular kind of file

For everything else, you don't need a Quadro

• 8. Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?

If you want to see (while editing) 10-bit output or you you need the more video RAM like a 6 GB Video RAM Quadro 6000 for humongous still picture resolutions.you absolutely need a Quadro card.  Otherwise it is a waste of money.

We have recently noticed in PPBM5 testing that with the new Sandy Bridge CPU's and motherboards running CS5.5 that using using a Quadro 2000 actually penalizes performance over a similar and even lower priced GTX cards.

• 9. Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?
                          AdobeHasIssues Level 1

John T Smith wrote:

1st, read this FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/618075 plus the links inside that message

If you have a Mac, your options are very limited... for a PC, just about any nVidia card will work (sometimes with a simple change to a text file) if the card has 1Gig of video memory

OK, I read a good portion of the links (which date way back and into the hundreds) but they ALL pertain to CS5x which is already listed to support the GTX570/580 along with the Quadro cards. And from what was posted, albeit with a lot of speculation from end users, it seems a certified GTX should work just fine and apparently the Quadro will be of little use for consumers if you believe everything you read. So that answers the CS5.5 card upgrade path pretty well.

So where's that leave me CS4-wise? How do I get it to allow scrubbing along a preview without rendering? I still have a lot more research to do before putting together a dual boot plan to make CS5.5 payoff. Is CS4 just a piece of crap or does it work with the right settings and hardware? I have no qualms upgrading to a GTX570/580 now if the additional RAM helps CS4 run even a little smoother. But from what I've read the video RAM is more important for long still shots, which isn't my main focus.

I guess it's time to post CS4 scrubbing questions into another forum since everyone here thinks my issues aren't card related. But I'll keep watching here in case there are still people able to help get CS4 running even adequately? Wish I could points out to everyone, you've all been helpful.

Joe

• 10. Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?

Joe,  If you will go to our old site for the Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM4) you can download that benchmark.  We are no longer updating that sites results but by running the brenchmark you can see from the disk intensive AVI encoding if you disks are working properly compared to the others in the results, with the CPU intensive MPEG2-DVD encoding test you can see how your CPU is doing.  You will be able to see configuration information to compare to yours. Make sure you do not use the CS5 data that was submitted before we got the PPBM5 site up and running.

• 11. Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?
                              tomglen Level 1

Harm, can I just clarify are you saying that graphics card choice will not make ANY difference to any CS4 application (including after effects)? I am about to purchase a new PC and won't be upgrading to CS5.5 in the near future so if I can save on costs would be keen to. Will a Nvidia EVGA GTX 550Ti and the below spec run PPro and AE smoothly?

i7 2600K 3.4GHz

Asus P8Z68-V Pro

8GB RAM

Thanks, appreciate any help.

Tom

• 13. Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?

Since Harm saved you money why don't you spend it on more RAM.  Which will help provide more performance.  If you can afford two 8 GB modules it will still leave room for future expansion. 

• 14. Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?
                                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>graphics card choice will not make ANY difference to any CS4 application (including after effects)?

That is correct

• 15. Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?
                                    tomglen Level 1

Great, thanks a lot for the advice guys. Yeah Bill I am thinking of going for 16GB RAM, makes sense for the small price difference.

Also, I know it's off topic but does anyone know how big a difference would be between these two motherboards (in terms of performance for running PPro & AE)?

Asus P8Z68-V PRO Intel Z68 GEN3,

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, Intel Z68

I know very little about computers and so am wondering how significant motherboard is to running these types of applications if all the rest of the spec is the same.

thanks

Tom

• 16. Re: Which NVIDIA graphics card for CS4 & CS5.5 Premiere?
                                      RjL190365 Level 4

Tom,

Unless you can find some way of configuring the extra RAM for use as a RAMDisk cache, adding more RAM would simply be a waste of money as far as CS4 is concerned: CS4 is mostly 32-bit, and thus cannot use more than about 3.5GB total of RAM.