3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2011 7:27 AM by phyllisj9

OT: Photos scanned as PDFs

phyllisj9 Level 2

Okay, this is a little off-topic, but I'll ask anyway:

I'm working on a magazine, and someone sent me a bunch of photos to use. They're scanned as PDFs. I used Acrobat to run a preflight check to make sure they're not too low-res.  They're passing that check, but I don't know exactly what resolution they really are. I need to open them in Photoshop to do some editing, cropping, etc. How do I know what to set as the resolution when I'm opening them?

I guess that's either a Photoshop or an Acrobat question, I don't know which....

Thanks, Phyllis

• 1. Re: OT: Photos scanned as PDFs
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you need to rework them, I would use the edit image command from Acrobat which will launch Photoshop and give you the image to work on. From there, save as PSD or TIF and place that into your ID document.

Bob

• 2. Re: OT: Photos scanned as PDFs
            Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Unless the PDF files were saved from Adobe Photoshop as Photoshop PDF files with editability option, you shouldn't initially open them in Photoshop since Photoshop will immediately query you as to what resolution you want and then resample them to match. That is exactly what you don't want to happen.

Open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro and use the Output Preview's Object Inspector feature to determine what the resolution of the image you are pointing to is. If the image matches your needs, simply place the PDF file into InDesign. Note that you don't need to “edit” an image just for cropping. That can be easily accomplished in InDesign itself! Also, you certainly should not try to artificially add resolution to an existing image for purposes of meeting some minimum resolution requirement of a publication. Such upsampling not only doesn't increase quality, but could potentiallyl decrease image quality.

If you find that you really need to edit the image, use the edit object feature of Acrobat Pro which will cause Acrobat to extract the selected image “as-is” and pass it along to Photoshop for editing. In Photoshop, you can perform any necessary edits and either save the image out to another file per your needs or save it and let Acrobat reinsert the image back to your original PDF file. I think the former may be more appropriate and offer more flexibility to you.

Good luck!

- Dov

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: OT: Photos scanned as PDFs
              phyllisj9 Level 2

Very very helpful. Thanks to both of you!

Phyllis