8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2011 3:15 PM by Peter Spier

Quark to Indesign

A1_Adam Level 1

I'm pretty sure I know the answer already, but I thought I'd double check.

I've got a .qxd file, but of course, I have no Quark.  It's a file that was created long ago in a place far, far away (so access to the designer is not possible).

I know that InDesign can open Quark version 4 or earlier, so I'm assuming (since I cannot open it), that it was created post-version 4.

Besides the $200 plugin (Q2ID), are there any other options for opening this file in InDesign?

Thanks,

Adam

• 1. Re: Quark to Indesign
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No. That's the only thing on the planet that will open those files.

If you only have one you can try contacting Markzware to see if they'll convert one file for you.

The EULA for Q2ID prohibits the conversion of files for others.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Quark to Indesign
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If it was Quark 4 then you can open it directly in InDesign

Anything after that is not possible as far as I know.

You could ask Markzware to see if they can convert it, they might then sell you on the file at a discounted price rather than buying the full software.

I'm not 100% sure or even 70% sure, but I think I contacted them about recovering a dodgy InDesign file, and the workaround was for InD2Q and then Q2InD, and they said they might be able to do it and if it worked I could purchase the file.

Not sure though, best to contact them and ask.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Quark to Indesign
              A1_Adam Level 1

Thanks - to both of you.  I will contact Markzware to see if that is an option.

Adam

• 4. Re: Quark to Indesign
                A1_Adam Level 1

As a follow-up:

I contacted Markzware through their website, and they do offer what they call "Markzware Conversion Service."

They charge on a file size/page number basis.

Just thought anyone with the same issue might be able to use this info.

Adam

• 5. Re: Quark to Indesign
                  macinbytes Level 4

You can also with some degree of luck get people on the Quark forums to backsave you to 4. I know we like to keep 8-7-6-5 for that purpose.

• 6. Re: Quark to Indesign
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

Bob wrote:

The EULA for Q2ID prohibits the conversion of files for others.

Wow, it does? I assume we're talking about http://markzware.com/company/license-agreement/.

I realize we're not lawyers here, and this is not legal advice, but you don't seriously think that's enforceable in court, do you? (shrinkwrap licenses, adhesion contracts, etc. ) At least as long as you're not in Illinois, Indiana, or Wisconsin.

I suppose Markzware would be unhappy with you and perhaps they could [try to] turn off your license number if they found out, and then you might have to sue them, and that would probably be a landmark case. I would pay to see that happen, though. (Email me if this happens to you, please.)

• 7. Re: Quark to Indesign
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Maybe I don't need to be threatened with a lawsuit, John. Maybe I think developers who put their blood sweat and tears into a valuable piece of software deserve to have their conditions (and this one is pretty straightforward) honored.

Bob

• 8. Re: Quark to Indesign
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think waht the license says is that you agree not to use the software to establish a conversion service. You are free to convert files for your clients in order to preform further work on those files.

I also think this is a reasonable restriction. The software is inexpensive enough that anyone with the need to do more than two conversions ought to be able to afford to buy it.