11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2011 9:47 AM by gator soup

Stumped on simple rollovers...

gator soup Level 4

I'm still doing my slices/rollovers in Photoshop/ImageReady CS2.

Actually, help in IR would get me back to work faster than trying to learn FW.

The problem is -- I have my file reworked removed all unused layers — IR screws up my Normal state, so knowing how to reset whatever IR is using would be helpful.

ir.jpg

The Original state is correct, the bottom shifts type and uses the wrong text effect.  I even deleted all the slices and reopened the file and IR still shows the wrong Normal state.

If I must learn how to set this up in FW, it would be helpful if someone pointed me to a video tutorial or what this is called so I can search for it.

I know it is working with slices and rollovers, but I can't find a simple tutorial that gets me working.

Sorry for so basic, but what used to take me 10 min to do in IR, has already cost me 3 hours and I am no closer to clearing the problem in IR or knowing how to do it in FW.

Here is the website http://www.kumeyaay.info/ if that helps....

• 1. Re: Stumped on simple rollovers...
          Jim_Babbage Level 4

Can't help you with IR. Never wasted my time with it. But FW on the other hand . . .

You want fast? In Fireworks use button symbols. Up to four states available in a button symbol and it makes generating the over, down and over while down states a complete breeze. Accurately. Optimization size of graphics tends to be noticeably better than PS/IR as well.

Happy to point you to tutorials if you need them, from basic rollovers (2 state) to button symbols (four-state).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stumped on simple rollovers...
            gator soup Level 4

Hi, not sure if we are crossing terminology or something.

My .psd is 700x47 pixels with a background, two text layers and 5ea LED graphics layers with five slices.

The "rollovers" are simply they have the LED graphic on.

I am not making buttons, symbols.

I simply want to open my .psd (hopefully with slices intact), regenerate new rollovers with my new revisions to update my Web page.

+++++

I've opened FW many times in the past trying to make sense of it to do these simple tasks but have never been able to figure it out -- I can't even find a Rollovers pallet in FW?

Any help or tutorials videos that show me how to slice, create roll-over states and Save as HTML and Images would certainly help get me back to work.

The tuts I've found talk a lot about buttons, too, but I haven't been able to find anything that is simple, to the point, that I can understand.

Thanks...

PS:

I should mention I am still using GoLive-ImageReady CS2.

• 3. Re: Stumped on simple rollovers...
              Jim_Babbage Level 4

Buttons, rollovers, same thing. Symbols are *sort of* like Smart Objects in PS. The big difference is you're not adding hyperlinks to a rollover effect. Button symbols work for both.

If I recall, PS handles rollovers by showing and hiding layers, which doesn't translate all that well over to FW's workflow of using states for rollover effects, especially if you have a full comp. If you're comfortable with doing so, email me the PSD and I'll have a deeper look, to see how easy (or not) the transition would be.

• 5. Re: Stumped on simple rollovers...
                gator soup Level 4
                I simply want to open my .psd (hopefully with slices intact), regenerate new rollovers with my new revisions to update my Web page.

Thanks, I looked at your tuts, but I am giving up and rebuilding my small .psd from scratch and going back to ImageReady to generate my files.

FW is too much for my pea brain to handle right now...

• 6. Re: Stumped on simple rollovers...
                  Jim_Babbage Level 4

My friend, you are over-thinking the process. Creating a rollover is not that difficult. I've recorded a quick video showing one method - using button symbols. Think of them as rollover symbols if you need to. Same end result.

http://screencast.com/t/Y8fA1HYAiKqb

That said, if you are on a deadline, go with what you know. Nothing more frustrating than trying to learn something new when you have deadline. But I encourage you to try this out AFTER, when you have the time and don't feel rushed.

Cheers

• 7. Re: Stumped on simple rollovers...
                    gator soup Level 4
                    you are over-thinking the process.

How so?

(I'm not trying to make FW buttons, BTW, my files are 100% sliced and finished in Ps and saved as .psd before I want to generate my final images for the Web).

But since you seem generous with your help, the main 840x550 pixel sliced/rollovered graphic here is an original .psd and a good example of the type of work I do (when I need slices/rollovers):  http://www.kumeyaay.info/museums/

I know how to generate slices/rollovers in ImageReady and bring them into GoLive.

But once I drag the .psd into FW, I'm lost — it's like I am using a non-Adobe product that doesn't make any sense: the interface, basics.

Granted, I need more schooling in the new Fw-Dw approach...

• 8. Re: Stumped on simple rollovers...
                      Jim_Babbage Level 4

My only point was that I think you're feeling the process is more difficult than it is. As I tried to clarify before, don't get hung up on the word "button". It's just a rollover effect. A swap image behavior. Whether I create highlighted bullet or a "button" the end result is the same in HTML. You end up with two images that get swapped back and forth.

I went to the link you sent but it appears to be the finished html page, not the PSD file. But also as I mentioned previously, because PS and FW handle rollovers differently (PS uses show/hide layers I believe, and FW uses states), the rollover portion may not translate well when you open the PSD in FW. That could be why you feel lost.

And you're right, Fireworks is not Photoshop. They are different applications with different purposes. At any rate, go ahead with what you know to meet your time constraints. Then when (if - lol) you have some downtime, give FW a try.

• 9. Re: Stumped on simple rollovers...
                        gator soup Level 4

Now I am curious, assuming you are familiar with Photoshop layers and ImageReady "rollover" states (hiding and showing layers in IR, saving html and images), are you are saying:

A layered .psd with slices, for example -- a background layer, two identical text layers with different color type/effect, and a graphic -- can be opened in FW, but FW can't save out .html and "rollover" images based on SIMPLY turning on/off existing Photoshop layers (in Fw) for the desired changes in appearance?

• 10. Re: Stumped on simple rollovers...
                          Jim_Babbage Level 4

You can export those slices manually from Fireworks, yes. But in order to do any exporting in a more "automatic" fashion, the rollover images would need to e be on a second state in the file. You would need to take care on how the files are named on export as well, because FW doens't reconginze them as rollovers and would use the smae slice name for each file.

• 11. Re: Stumped on simple rollovers...
                            gator soup Level 4
                            in order to do any exporting in a more "automatic" fashion, the rollover images would need to e be on a second state in the file.

yes, the rollovers are already contained in the file on a layer

I'm giving up on this because it appears FireWorks can't do this simple task that is so intuitive and routinely done in ImageReady

it is too bad Adobe discontinued ImageReady for this product

thanks, again, for trying to explain how this works