4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2011 9:13 PM by Butch2oc

Modify Audio Channels - Warning Serious problem in 5.5 - Real Help Needed

Butch2oc Level 1

I have edited a half hour program from rushes supplied.

The audio tracks from the camera came in as "stereo".

As I had different mics on different tracks I used the modify audio channel function to change audio to "2 Mono".

All went well until I opened up this project on another system and then linked media.

All the clips in the bins that had been changed to "2 Mono" reverted back to "stereo"

Every dam mono instance edited on my timeline all of a sudden had track 1 only so all my audio edits are wrong through

the complete program.

As you can't use the modify audio command on clips that have been used in a sequence, you can't fix it.

In fact try changing the audio of a clip in a bin to a different audio configuration from its original import.

Then make that media offline.

Then relink again.

Presto the audio reverts back to its original audio config.

This is a massive problem that makes me very nervous.

I have to bring in each clip again change it's audio config then match all the edits and then hope that I don't have to relink.

Boy, I'm really up that creek without a paddle.

Has anyone got a better workaround.

Cheers

Butch

• 1. Re: Modify Audio Channels - Warning Serious problem in 5.5 - Real Help Needed
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Try doing it without relinking--yeah, I know, I know, but let me explain:

Relinking assumes that you're connecting to a completely new and/or different instance of the footage. It's kind of dumb that way. The master clip in your bin may have been remapped from stereo to dual mono, but that only pertains to the clip as far as its referenced in the project file--the media has not changed. When you relink an offline clip to a new (or even the same) source footage, it looks at the media file, sees stereo audio, and recreates the master clip as stereo instead of mono. Yep, even the offline clip says it has "2 Mono" tracks.

Like I said, it's dumb.

Fortunately, your bacon can be saved. Here are two solutions, one I'm pretty sure will work (#1) and the other I'm almost positive will work (#2):

1. Replicate your media folder structure EXACTLY as it was on the first system. This should prevent Premiere Pro from seeing the media as offline and asking you to relink. This will likely not work when going between OSes (Mac to Windows or vice-versa) due to different ways that media paths are written.
          2. With your media offline--assuming that we're talking about the stereo-mapped-to-dual-mono clips here--go to Preferences > Audio and change Default Track Format to "Mono." OK out of the Preferences, and now attempt to manually relink your media. Instead of reverting to stereo, they should (in my tests they did, but no guarantees) relink as dual mono.

Let me know how that goes... you may want to set your preferences back to the "Use File" default when you're done with #2, should you go that route.

• 2. Re: Modify Audio Channels - Warning Serious problem in 5.5 - Real Help Needed
            Butch2oc Level 1

Colin, what can I say. Your a legend, I would nerver of thought to try that. Full points for getting me out of a jam.

Just need to make sure that pref is checked before relinking or there is probably no returning.

I thought that pref was for how the timeline sees the clips audio when bringing it in.

This is without a doubt a strange one that should be looked at by Adobe.

This would catch a few people out especially if 2 tracks we not too different (i.e. if boom and lapel mics used).

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Modify Audio Channels - Warning Serious problem in 5.5 - Real Help Needed
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Sweet! Glad it worked! I must admit that this had not occurred to me until you posited this query--and I've run into this issue many times before in the past.

Just need to make sure that pref is checked before relinking or there is probably no returning.

As long as you don't save your project (should you have forgotten to set these preference beforehand), you should be able to quickly revert/reopen and try again. If you DO bork your project... well, let's just hope you've got a backup somewhere

I would definitely encourage making a feature request for smarter/saner relink behavior: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Glad to hear you're up and rolling again!

• 4. Re: Modify Audio Channels - Warning Serious problem in 5.5 - Real Help Needed
                Butch2oc Level 1

I've since had a play with that preference and we at 2oc have just set some rules with bringing in footage.

Make sure this pref is checked

The gui and manual have got it wrong.

It just needs to say on the GUI "Audio Import Settings" - it certainly doesn't clarify this in the manual.

The good thing about this is thou... it now gives opportunity for audio channel adjustments even if the clip

has been used in a timeline.

So, something good from something bad.

Cheers