7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2017 7:53 AM by hsssson

layer not showing up in PDF or when printed...

ashmic19 Level 1

Hi,

I created a postcard in InDesign CS3 and I have run across a problem. The layer that I have at the bottom most layer is showing up in my InDesign document but when I export it as a PDF or try and print it it does not show up. It's white when it should be gold. I also have a transparent psd file over the gold layer and that doesn't seem to be showing up in my PDF or printing either. I did use a template but I was almost positive I deleted the placeholders I didn't want. Any ideas?

I also was wondering how to get my document from a SRGB to a CMYK document so that way I can be sure it prints properly. Any ideas?

Thanks for any and all help!

ashmic19

• 1. Re: layer not showing up in PDF or when printed...
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Double-click on the layer that doesn't print in the Layers panel. Is "Print Layer" checked?

What happens when you choose Preview mode? (Press W to toggle between Normal and Preview view). Preview mode shows what will print and what will not.

Also choose Windows > Attributes, and make sure that the objects that don't print/export don't have Nonprinting checked.

How are you going to be printing the document? To a desktop printer, or are you sending it to a commercial printer?

• 2. Re: layer not showing up in PDF or when printed...
            ashmic19 Level 1

@Steve Werner-

Yes "Print Layer" is checked on the layers that do not print or show up in the PDF file. So checked that and it's not that.

Toggling between preview mode and normal mode - the layer shows up in the preview mode.

I checked Windows>Attributes to see if "Non-Printing" was checked on the layers that wouldn't print and it's not checked.

Well I did a test print on my desktop computer to make sure everything looked okay before I send the file to my client. I'm sure they will be taking it to a professional printer in the area to have them printed off.

I still am stumped as to why it's not printing. One thing I did notice that I forgot to mention was that on one of the sides of the postcard the layer showed up but part of it was blocked out by white space. But on the other side of the postcard the layer didn't show up at all. It's just wierd!

Thanks for your help. I'm sure this isn't the answer you were hoping for but thanks anyway for posting a reply. If you have any other ideas I'd love to hear them!

• 3. Re: layer not showing up in PDF or when printed...
              ashmic19 Level 1

Update:

@Steve Werner-

You helped me in another post figure out how to ensure my postcard printed in CMYK. I exported it as a PDF with the Preset "Adobe PDF/x-1a" and when I did that the layers (that were missing) showed up in the PDF and/or weren't distorted as they had been. So I think somehow that export setting made a difference somehow. I also relinked a file (which I don't think was even in my document but maybe that effected things too). So progress is made in that the missing layers are visible in the PDF. Now to try printing it using the PDF files but that'll have to wait until morning. I'll post the results of whether they printed fine or not in the morning. But so far so good!

Thanks so much!

ashmic19

• 4. Re: layer not showing up in PDF or when printed...
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Take a look at InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Eliminating the White Box Effect

I have a feeling this might be what was happening to you since you mentioned the transparency.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: layer not showing up in PDF or when printed...
                  ashmic19 Level 1

@SteveWerner-The file printed the missing layers when I exported it as a PDF/X-1a. Thanks!

ashmic19

• 6. Re: layer not showing up in PDF or when printed...
                    ashmic19 Level 1

@PeterSpier- Thanks for the link to the article about fixing the white box issue. It made a lot of sense and I'll definitely be coming back to that if I have problems in the future. Thanks!

-ashmic19

• 7. Re: layer not showing up in PDF or when printed...
                      hsssson

Hi Steve Werner,

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with us.

you solved the problem I have met with indesign layer, After I checked the layer properties and there was a check box for "Print layer"

I found the solution in indesign CS6 window > Output > attributes > NonPrinting

Thanks

Hassan