9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2011 4:42 AM by Colin Brougham

DNxHD as a Preview File?

Toomany3 Level 1

I know that Colin said somewhere that this maybe is possible on a Mac, but is there any way I can use DNxHD as a preview file on a Windows machine?

• 1. Re: DNxHD as a Preview File?
          jojejo Level 2

what do you exactly mean by "preview"? Of coarse, a windows machine can handle a DNxHD if the codec is installed. Originally DNxHD was only a PC codec. And Premiere works fine with that.

• 2. Re: DNxHD as a Preview File?
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Nope; the PC version of PPro won't let you use QuickTime as a preview file format. You're limited to I-frame MPEG2, a few various P2 formats (DVCPRO50, DVCPRO HD), and any codec that PPro can access in an AVI container. You're familiar with the included and available add-on options there, I believe. In some respects, you have much more flexible preview file options in the Mac version.

While I doubt sincerely that we'd ever see QuickTime as a preview file format option in the PC version of PPro, you could fake this in a fashion by simply exporting your sequence (or sections of it) to a QT MOV with the codec of your choice, importing the MOV, and placing it on a track above the others in the sequence. Need to "re-render" a section? No problem: just mark a work area and repeat the above. Yes, it's kind of clumsy, but it would give you the net effect of rendering previews with QuickTime--practically speaking, this is all that you're doing when you're rendering previews, anyway. Previews are just more automatic.

• 3. Re: DNxHD as a Preview File?
              lasvideo Level 4

Colin, how about Cineform  as a preview option, since I know lots of folks use that for mastering since Prores is not available?

• 4. Re: DNxHD as a Preview File?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

No personal experience with it, so I can't comment specifically. I think that it's the choice for PC-based previews though, if you want 10-bit. I rarely render, and I create master/archival outputs even less than that, so I really don't know how well it works into such a workflow. That's sort of their (Cineform's) forte, so I'm assuming it's geared exactly toward that.

• 5. Re: DNxHD as a Preview File?
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have Cineform you can choose one of the CF matching preview presets and set the player to CFRTplayer instead of the Adobe player.

• 6. Re: DNxHD as a Preview File?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

As DNxHD isn't really lossless, and as Cinefom costs money, your best option for previews on the PC is either the Lagarith or UT codecs.  Both are free, and lossless.  Both come in 64 bit versions for PP.

• 7. Re: DNxHD as a Preview File?
                      lasvideo Level 4

Thats good to know. Never heard of them. Im sticking with Prores for the time being.

• 8. Re: DNxHD as a Preview File?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

ProRes isn't lossless either.

• 9. Re: DNxHD as a Preview File?
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

The three flavors of DNxHD are roughly equivalent to draft quality, "broadcast" quality, and master quality. I don't have the ability to encode ProRes--just ingest--but I assume that similar flavors exist, since the codecs are rather similar.

You can ignore Lagarith and Ut as they're PC only. I've had random issues with both--garbage frames, slow performance, other anomalies that cause me to not trust it. Since they're developed by people and not companies, they're subject to breaking and such. Both are great when they work (which is most of the time), but I don't really rely on them any more.

ProRes and DNxHD, for all their QuickTime foibles, have big-company backing. DNxHD is even a SMPTE standard--that's not something that Lagarith or Ut will ever achieve.

Short story: use what works!