9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2013 9:32 AM by BillyDBrown

Using multiple vids for music vid in Premiere Elements 9

sbruppe

I have only three separate videos that I'm trying to create a very short acoustic music video for, but I cannot seem to figure how to switch between the different videos at different parts of the song... i.e. I'm want to be able to switch from a group shot, to just me playing guitar, then friend on percussion, then back to group, etc. ... syncing the vids is no problem, just can't switch between the vids (and switch back).  I've never really used any type of video editing software...

• 1. Re: Using multiple vids for music vid in Premiere Elements 9
          the_wine_snob Level 9

As PrE does not have true multi-cam, the best that one can do is to place the other shots on higher Video Tracks, and then drop the Opacity for them down, to see below. Cut, as needed, and then change that Opacity back to 100%, to replace the footage on Video Track 1.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Using multiple vids for music vid in Premiere Elements 9
            sbruppe Level 1

Thanx for the response.  Yeah, I have come to realize this after posting, but perhaps I'll try your idea out.  I would just get final cut pro, but it seems that you have to get an older version (from 'somewhere') because the latest one (X) seems to have left that function out for some reason...

• 3. Re: Using multiple vids for music vid in Premiere Elements 9
              Geoff Alexander Level 1

I've used the methods above from PE4 to PE7 in Hd with no problems for over 20 multi-screen music videos- see www.youtube.com/thwapq

• 4. Re: Using multiple vids for music vid in Premiere Elements 9
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Geoff,

When you say,

20 multi-screen music videos

do you mean many Clips in a single Frame, via PiP (Picture in Picture), or true Multi-cam, where an event is shot simultaneously with multiple cameras, and then the footage from those multiple cameras is cut into a single Clip?

Those are two separate processes. The PiP is just the animation of the Effects>Motion>Scale and Motion>Position, for all of the Clips that appear in PiP. For the Multi-cam, one first has to sync up, and lock the sources for all of the separate cameras, choosing which camera's Audio will be used as the Master. Then, the editor decides which camera's footage will be used where. The problem here is that in PrE, one can only see the Clip that is on top of the stack, unless the Opacity is lowered. If more than two cameras were used, one has to do that for each Clip above the Master Clip, and it gets real messy, really quickly. PrPro allows up to four cameras, and each is shown in its own monitor, so no need to adjust Opacity - that stays the same - 100%. Also, once all four, or fewer, cameras are synced, and locked, anything that is done in the edit, will affect all cameras, until time to decide which camera's footage is where. Then, in Multi-cam, the editor just chooses, say Camera 1 to start, then at an edit point, switch to Camera 2, perhaps back to Camera 1, then switch to Camera 3, and so on. As there are up to four monitors, the editor can see all footage at the same time, and make the decision on which camera's footage to use where.

One sees Multi-cam in many music performances, where separate cameras are used to record a concert, from different angles, and probably different lenses. Some wedding videographers employ Multi-cam to record the event with multiple cameras. It is seen less often in dramatic productions, but is employed heavily with major stunts, where, say a building's destruction will be covered by many cameras, and maybe some high-speed cameras.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Using multiple vids for music vid in Premiere Elements 9
                  Geoff Alexander Level 1

It wasn't multi cam. What I was intimating was that syncing can be

achieved, using multiple images. If I was a professional producer I

would certainly pay out for a programme which could handle multi-cam as

time would be money, but as an enthusiastic hobbyist, PE does what I

need, in the time I have available.

• 6. Re: Using multiple vids for music vid in Premiere Elements 9
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Geoff,

Got you, and thanks for that clarification.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Using multiple vids for music vid in Premiere Elements 9
                      BillyDBrown

Bill, thanks for your explanation of the differences between PiP and multicam. I was wondering about that. But question:

Doesn't PrE make it possible to cut out sections of tracks without rippling so that the editor can just stack little pices of clips on higher tracks when wanting those to be presented instead of the lower track? Isn't this basically how audio editing and sweetening is handled? Why is adjusting the opacity method for switching to other camera footage preferred?

thanks

BillyB

• 8. Re: Using multiple vids for music vid in Premiere Elements 9
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Billy,

The Opacity change is ONLY to provide the editor the ability to see multiple Clips on the Timeline. With a two-camera shoot, the Clip on the higher Video Track will overlay what is below it. If one is editing those two cameras full screen (not as a PiP), Camera 2 would obscure the footage from Camera 1. In the initial phase of deciding which camera's footage will be seen, that Opacity reduction will allow one to see both camera 1 (below) and camera 2 (above), though obviously not fully. The decisions of when to cut between the two cameras would be made at that point, say Trimming the camera 2 footage to the exact Duration required. After that decision has been made, the Opacity would be reset to 100%, and the camera 2 footage would "cover up" anything on lower Video Tracks.

The beauty of a true Multi-cam editing Workspace is that it will include multiple monitors, so that one can see all of the footage displayed. The Trimming options can then be made with full Opacity of each camera's footage. The function of seeing only the footage, that is on top of the "stack" still holds, but the view is much easier to work with. There are a few other little perks in true Multi-cam, such as being able to choose the exact Audio, that will determine sync for all of the Video. Because of the various Multi-cam functions, it's really more like a separate editing program, built into one.

Hope that explains my workflow a bit better, but if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Using multiple vids for music vid in Premiere Elements 9
                          BillyDBrown Level 1

Thanks Bill!

Now I get it. Better, at least, anyway. Better appreciation of what multi cam offers sinks in as I mull it over.

Seems like if one's workflow were to typically include mutlitple video tracks, that would provide a compelling reason to switch up and out of PrE to a more pro level editor. I'm guessing, perhaps, the most common and basic reason for stepping up the editing software. Would you agree?

BillyB

Message was edited by: BillyDBrown