7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2011 8:52 PM by Darwin dog

Making a new version of a book?

Darwin dog

I have a folder (on a Mac) which contains all the data for a book: the x.indb file, folders for each chaphter, which also contain the images for that chapter.

I want to make a new version. Using the OS I duplicated the folder, gave it a new name, changed the name of the x.indb file, and started to make changes. I then found that these changes also appear in the old ID book. I have spent many hours trying to isolate the two books, i.e. making a new book from the old.

What is the proceedure for doing this? It seems like it would be a common process.

Many thanks,

Michael

• 1. Re: Making a new version of a book?
          tman69 Level 3

the 'new' book file may be linking to the original 'chapter' files---try removing them from your 'new' book file--rename the 'copied' chapter files--then re-add them to the book file.

• 2. Re: Making a new version of a book?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

tman is correct. A Book is really just a collection of links, and just like when you copy a document with linked images, you are copying the link information about the included documents in your book, so it is still looking at the original files.

• 3. Re: Making a new version of a book?
              RodneyA Level 3

I do this all the time (each new issue of a journal), and I find it simplest to just create a new book file and add the copies of the chapter documents to it. That way you know all of the links are correct.

• 4. Re: Making a new version of a book?
                Darwin dog Level 1

Thanks Rodney,

I made a new folder and created a new ID book and then opened the new book and used the ID command "ADD" to copy the old X.indd files to the new book in the new folder. I then opened an ADDed X.indd file, made changes, and found that they were not transmitted back to the X.indd file in the old book.

Very good; thanks to you.

However, the new X.indd file was still linked back to the images in the old book. This is a drag when you make many revisions, because you don't want to go back to old versions of the book to find and change images.

What I want is a "clone" of the old book: all files copied with links from new X.idd files to new X.jpeg files, etc. I want an exact copy with internally consistant links that have no relation at all with the old book. I want to be able to delete the old book and see no effect on the new book.

Thanks,

Michael

• 5. Re: Making a new version of a book?
                  John Hawkinson Level 5
                  What I want is a "clone" of the old book: all files copied with links from new X.idd files to new X.jpeg files, etc. I want an exact copy with internally consistant links that have no relation at all with the old book. I want to be able to delete the old book and see no effect on the new book.

That's easy. Just use Book (panel) > Package Book for Print... It will copy the Book, the INDD files, and all linked images, and it will update all links

to point to the new destination.

If, however, your goal is not to change linked images, which is I think RodneyA's situation:

I do this all the time (each new issue of a journal), and I find it simplest to just create a new book file and add the copies of the chapter documents to it. That way you know all of the links are correct.

Then there's an easy trick. Copy the book in the filesystem, if you like. Then temporarily rename the folder containing the old book and layouts (they are in their own folder, right!). Now open your copy of the book and make sure all the documents work. They'll be updated to point to the new (copied) location. Then, rename back your original book's folder to what it should be called.

This process forces InDesign to look for the files in the book when it can' find them at their original path. Which is what you want.

• 6. Re: Making a new version of a book?
                    Darwin dog Level 1

Hello John,

Your last suggestion "Then there's an easy trick." does exactly what I want to do!

Than you so much. Hope you have a geat week.

Darwin dog, aka Michael

• 7. Re: Making a new version of a book?
                      Darwin dog Level 1

THE LAST WORD? In the last two days I have realized that my problem had not been solved. That is not the fault of those who kindly answered my question, rather this was a case when I really had to understand how ID works in order to solve the problem or understand comments of others.

WHAT I HAD DONE. I had a version folder that contained the book file (x.indb) and folders for each chapter. Inside each chapter folder I had a chapter file (y.indd) and all the image files (z.jpeg) for that chapter.

To make a new version I used the OS duplicate command to create a new version folder with all the files in it. I then renamed the version folder, opened it and renamed the book file. I then double clicked the book file, double clicked a chapter icon in the book file window, and started to make a new version of that chapter (or so I thought). I was seduced by the powerful metaphor that we all get used to in either Windows or Mac: the folders and files in the version folder must be linked since we see them in the same folder.

WHAT I WAS REALLY DOING (INSTEAD OF MAKING A NEW VERSION). When I copied the version folder and the files in it, the book file still had links to the earlier chapter files. When I opened the new book file, double clicked on a chapter file icon and started to make changes, I was changing the chapter file that the book file was linked to (in my case the chapter file in version 1, even though I thought I was in version 5). The chapter files in the new version folder were not being changed at all. When I went to the next earlier version folder, opened the book file and looked at the chapter file I discovered that it had been changed by my changes in the current version. I then changed the name of the earlier version folder and found that it didn't "protect" the files in it from being changed when I changed a chapter file in the current version. The trouble was that ALL of the book file chapter icons linked back to version 1. Those were the only files being changed. The chapter files in the version folder I was in were just copies of the very first version. Each time I duplicated the version folder they were just carried along. Thus, I had no copies of the versions between 1 and the current version.

WHAT ADOBE COULD HAVE DONE. When I opened a book file and selected a chapter file, ID could have displayed a message "you are opening a file outside the folder you are in; do you want to continue?"

WHAT ADOBE DID. If you open a book file and pass the arrow tool over the beginning of a chapter file name, a yellow ballon message appears that gives the path of the file that name links to. It was this feature that enabled me to understand what was happening. Thanks for that ADOBE!

WHAT I SHOULD HAVE DONE.

• Keep image files for the chapters in folders that are not copied with the creation of each version. The duplicated image files I was making were just copies with no use.

• To make a new version: copy the version folder, delete the book file, create a new book file, and add the chapter files to it. Since the chapter file icons will be in the same folder as the book file (there are no chapter folders because the image files are in another folder), you can select them all and add to the book in a single step.

• Check the paths of at least some of the chapter files to make sure you are working on the files you want to change (the chapter files in your current verision folder).