6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2011 10:57 AM by HeyMikey

Divide spread

silver_cruiser

Hi guys, is there any way to split a spread in half? I have to mention that one spread actually represents 2 pages. The size I'm working on is 330 x 220 mm and I need to get to 165 x 220 mm.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Divide spread
          Michael Gianino Level 4

silver_cruiser wrote:

I have to mention that one spread actually represents 2 pages.

I'm not sure I understand how you are using the term spread, since a spread is usually defined as two side-by-side pages.

• 2. Re: Divide spread
            silver_cruiser Level 1

Screenshot.jpg

Okay. So this is how it looks like. I need to split that page (spread?) in half.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Divide spread
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Those are single pages, which is bad news. You have to create a new Facing Pages file with pages equal to half the size of the current "spread," then copy and paste from one to the other.

• 4. Re: Divide spread
                Michael Gianino Level 4

It looks like you have a facing-page master, but your document pages are set up as singles. I can't see the image clearly enough to see, but it looks like the page that is selected is page 19, and is a single page. Did you intend this to originally be a spread of two pages built onto a single page?

• 5. Re: Divide spread
                  silver_cruiser Level 1

@ Michael: I thought it was easier to do so, designing 2 pages built onto 1, cause I have illustrations that span across 2 pages. I guess it's kinda wrong.

• 6. Re: Divide spread
                    HeyMikey Level 3

Well, when it comes time to print, it will cause alot of extra work for the printer to fix (and substantial cost for you). So you'll DEFINITELY need to rebuild your document in 2-page spreads before you send the file to your print shop. Page layout programs allow you to create "reader spreads" for ease in designing, but when it comes time to print, those spreads will need to be imposed into "printer spreads". However, by creating your spreads on 1 page as you've done, you necessitate having to break each page into 2 halves later, doubling your work. Pages for an 8-page document in reader spreads look like:

1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8

While the RIP at your print shop will impose them to look like:

8-1, 2-7, 6-3, 4-5

If you give your printer a press-ready PDF created from a facing-pages document, he'll have no problem. If you give him a file that is not facing pages, designed as you've done, he'll have to rebuild the file correctly, resulting in additional cost, and possible shifting of objects/text.

Hope this helps out...

Cheers!

-Mikey