7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2011 3:57 PM by the_wine_snob

How to eliminate blip in soundtrack?

DennisinVan

Hi,

Is there a way in PE8 to eliminate/patch a half-second blip in a quiet soundtrack?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Dennis

• 1. Re: How to eliminate blip in soundtrack?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on what's causing it -- and/or where the audio originated.

But you can always cut out or drop the volume at a specific point to eliminate an unwanted sound.

• 2. Re: How to eliminate blip in soundtrack?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

If there is no music, or vocal content at that point, you can just Alt+click on the Audio portion of the Clip (to temporarily unlink the Audio from the Video - if the Audio is separate, just click on it to Select), and then use the Scissors/Razor Tool to Cut it, on either side of the "blip." When you have a Cut on either side, you have a choice, and here would be my workflow: Drag that segment to a lower Audio Track, and position it below a section of that "quiet" Audio Clip. Now, go to the good, quiet Clip, and use the Scissors/Razor to Cut a segment, the same Duration as the segment with the blip. Delete the segment with the blip, and then Rt-click on that segment that we just Cut in the good, quite Audio, and choose Copy. Here is where we have to "outsmart" PrE, as it wants to help us*, and we do not want its help here. Go to the end of the Timeline, beyond your Clips, and move the CTI (Current Time Indicator) to beyond the last Clip by just a bit. Hit Ctrl+V (Paste) to get that Copy onto a free Audio Track. Now, drag that back to where we removed that blip Audio. Though the Audio is otherwise "quiet," there is a likely a low-level signal, and having that ambient Audio is better, and less jarring, than having pure silence.

Though it involves another Adobe program, if I had much of this type of work to do, I would look into Adobe Audition, which has many great Restoration Presets, and Remove Transient is one of the most useful. One would just look at the Spectral Display (or even the Waveform Display), drag the cursor to highlight the "blip," and hit Remove Transient with one click - Done!

Good luck,

Hunt

* If we have just the gap, where we Cut out the blip, and carefully place the CTI right at the beginning of that gap, pressing Ctrl+V should fill the gap with our Copy of the ambient sound, but if we miss, then PrE will try to help us, and can mess things up. It will work best, if we have un-Cut Video holding that gap open, but my method, though an extra step, will always work.

• 3. Re: How to eliminate blip in soundtrack?
              P_Forrest Level 1

Thanks for the "Remove Transient" tip,  Hunt!

I'm extremely happy with PremPro CS5.5, but I still keep coming back here for tips as well.

cheers,

Petey

• 4. Re: How to eliminate blip in soundtrack?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Hey, never hesitate to drop in. It's still quite a bit of fun around here.

If the Remove Transient was a real, hardware button, I would have worn that out long ago.

Also, Audition's Spectral Display, plus the Selection Tool (kind of like the Marquee Tool in PS), are great. Just took out a ringing cell phone, and it was so very easy. It did not affect the dialog. Trying to do that with Gating, EQ, etc., would have taken many hours, and not been nearly so good.

Now, I have not seen the new Audition CS 5.5 (think that is the official X-platform version), but it seems that some things are missing. Might just stick with Audition 2 & 3, as I do not need any Mac compatibility.

Nice to see you around,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How to eliminate blip in soundtrack?
                  P_Forrest Level 1

Thanks Hunt,

I know Audition has no MIDI and a number of other things.   I found out it doesn't export, but rather overwrites.   I.e.   Record some music in wave  ---  then save to MP3 (from wave) in the project and it overwrites your WAVE with the MP3.  "Export" is for a later date.    I've been a big Cakewalk/Sonar user since 1999, but I do so little recording now via that software that I'm now using the new Audition.  That's all I really need.    I now do all my ukulele playing live on video.

I also just bought (for $99) "NewBlue Film Effects."   Now I'm totally set!!!  That plug-in suite is amazing and works directly in PrPro and PE!  I learned about NewBlue thru PE!

cheerio!

Petey

• 6. Re: How to eliminate blip in soundtrack?
                    DennisinVan Level 1

Hi Bill,

I've now had a chance to try out your recommended procedure and it works like a charm -- no more annoying blip. Your answer is definitely among the best I've ever received on any Help forum -- articulate, thorough, respectful of a novice's level of understanding, reasoned, complete -- and you even offer a bonus suggestion about Adobe Audition -- Outstanding answer! Thanks!

Dennis

• 7. Re: How to eliminate blip in soundtrack?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

That the offending "blip" is now history, is all that I could ask for.

Thanks for the kind words, and also the update on your success. That is what's important.

Good luck,

Hunt