5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2011 9:59 AM by _del_p_

Do touchscreen monitors work with phone emulators?

_del_p_

I'm needing to test touch and guesturing and its a bit on the slow side to do this on the actual device (espically Apple devices) so I was wondering if I get a touchscreen monitor will the mobile phone emulator send touch/guesture event rather than just click events when using a touchscreen.

Anyone have experience with this, if so any particular screen that you've found good?

Cheers.

• 1. Re: Do touchscreen monitors work with phone emulators?
          _del_p_ Level 1

If no one here has used a touchscreen, am I missing a way to use phone emulators in flashbuilder to test touch and guestures?

• 2. Re: Do touchscreen monitors work with phone emulators?
            Don Kerr Level 3

I've used HP Touchsmart and Gateway All-In-One touch.

Since Air gesture events and raw touch points are both supported on Windows 7, you can actually just debug them on the desktop if Flash Builder is installed on the touch PC. 

I perfer the Gateway for texting my touch screen/wall apps,  because the HP Touchsmart is horribly slow.

With that said, I'm pretty sure Adobe's Device Central support testing gestures.  I'd check that out first.

Don

• 3. Re: Do touchscreen monitors work with phone emulators?
              _del_p_ Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I think its quite poor that Adobe haven't bundled ADC with flashbuilder considering the upgrade to 4.5 contains a bunch of mobile stuff. 

I've a windows 7 machine so considering that a touch screen is going to cost a fraction of any of the CS products to get ADC included I might as well just get a touch screen.

I take it from your reply that you've run the emulator from flashbulider and when you make a guesture the flashbuilder emulator picks them up as touch/guestures and not clicks? 

• 4. Re: Do touchscreen monitors work with phone emulators?
                Don Kerr Level 3

I debug and select the On Desktop launch method.  But, I would go so far as to call it an "emulator".  It is basically the size and some ability to rotate device using the adl menu.  This approach, of course, is only good for testing things that don't need the device. 

But, I do find it useful for testing my touch screen apps that are not mobile.  I'm not finding any problems testing touch on mobile app devices.  www.testFlightApp.com took a lot of the pain away from testing iPad apps.

I agree, it makes a lot of sense for Flash Builder to leverage ADC when we debug/run.  I'd love to see it!

Don

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Do touchscreen monitors work with phone emulators?
                  _del_p_ Level 1

The answer is YES :-)

I've not got an Acer touchscreen for windows 7 and the guesturing and touch works fine.  Save so much time compared to building and coping across to the hardware devices.