5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2011 9:10 AM by kglad

Flash CS4 issue(s)

robfinlay

Hi there,

I hope I'm posting in the right place.  I'm just getting into Flash and have a couple of issues that are making my workflow really frustrating.

The first question I have is: is there a way to lock down the pivot/transformation point of a group of symbols (on multiple layers)?  If I have a character I want to move around, and I select his entire upper body (arms, head, torso etc.), I move the registration point, make adjustments, and then if I go to select that same grouping again the registration point resets to its default position.

My second question is: is there a way to copy and paste properties from multiple motion-tween keys?  As far as I can tell it has to be done one at a time, which can be tedious and time-consuming if there are a lot of layers.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob

• 1. Re: Flash CS4 issue(s)
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

for your first question you can try selecting all the objects you want to group, click modify/group and then do whatever.  your objects will remain grouped.  i'm not sure what you're doing with your transform point and whether that will remain unchanged after you do it.  but your objects will remain grouped so that should help.

i can't answer your 2nd question because i'm not sure what your trying to copy and where you're trying to paste

• 2. Re: Flash CS4 issue(s)
            robfinlay Level 1

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I'll look into grouping, but I think the problem with that method will be that I still need to select the individual components as well.  If I'm doing a walk cycle, for instance, I'll select the entire upper body and translate it up and down, but then will also need to select the arms to get them to swing back and forth (etc.).

As far as the second question, I have a motion tween set up, and am trying to paste motion tween keyframes from one part of the timeline to another.  For instance, if I want a looping animation (like in a walk cycle) I need to duplicate the keys from the first frame to the end of the animation so that the tween will calculate movement between the final pose in the cycle and the first pose (hopefully that makes sense).  You can do this by right-clicking on an individual tween key and selecting 'copy properties', but I'm looking for a way to do this for all layers at once rather than one layer at a time.

• 3. Re: Flash CS4 issue(s)

you should be using nested movieclips or graphics for your first issue.  for example, create one movieclip with your chacters arms moving, one movieclip with your characters legs moving and maybe one movieclip with the head/torso bobbing up-and-down.

then create a character movieclip that contains that head/torso movieclip, the legs movieclip and the arms movieclip.  if done correctly, your character movieclip will look like someone walking (but going nowhere).

add your character to the main timeline and tween his position.  if done correctly it will look like someone walking and moving.

you can then add another frame to your character movieclip for when it's stationary and maybe another for him/her whistling etc.

• 4. Re: Flash CS4 issue(s)
                robfinlay Level 1

Hi, thanks for your suggestion.  I've played with nested animation a little bit, and perhaps I'm doing it incorrectly, but as far as I can tell if you're using nested animations you can't actually view the whole scene while you're completing your nested animation, is that true?  My animation background is traditional (hand-drawn) and 3D and I'd have a hard time properly animating an arm, for instance, if I couldn't also see what the rest of the body was doing.

• 5. Re: Flash CS4 issue(s)

if you need to view the nested objects animation in the authoring environment, use graphics instead of movieclips.