4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2011 12:18 PM by peter minneapolis

Can I have a paragraph style begin w/ a text variable?

miz_nrg Level 1

Not sure if this is possible but here's what I'd like to do:  I'm working on a tooling catalog and at the end of each product description is a paragraph that begins with APPLICATIONS: and then lists what the tool can be used on.  I created a separate paragraph style for this that includes a nested style so that the word is bold.  What I'm wondering is if there is a way to automatically have the word "APPLICATIONS:" appear when this paragraph style is applied.  Sort of like a text variable.  I hope this makes sense.  I'm using CS4, by the way.

Thanks,

Mel

• 1. Re: Can I have a paragraph style begin w/ a text variable?
          peter minneapolis Level 4

miz_nrg wrote:

Not sure if this is possible but here's what I'd like to do:  I'm working on a tooling catalog and at the end of each product description is a paragraph that begins with APPLICATIONS: and then lists what the tool can be used on.  I created a separate paragraph style for this that includes a nested style so that the word is bold.  What I'm wondering is if there is a way to automatically have the word "APPLICATIONS:" appear when this paragraph style is applied.  Sort of like a text variable.  I hope this makes sense.  I'm using CS4, by the way.

Thanks,

Mel

Give the paragraph style the numbered-list property, and instead of using numberic placeholders, type in "APPLICATIONS: " to prefix the paragraph as you want. Search Google for "indesign numbered list tutorial" and similar terms without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 2. Re: Can I have a paragraph style begin w/ a text variable?
            SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could use Bullets and Numbering within your paragraph style to achieve this. Set your Bullet to be a capital A in the correct font, then add pplications: and a tab as your "text after". Adjust your tab settings.

Now every paragraph with that style will have Applications: at the beginning of it.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can I have a paragraph style begin w/ a text variable?
              miz_nrg Level 1

Thanks to you both!  I used Peter's numbered list suggestion and it worked perfectly.  I had a feeling I may have been approaching it wrong with the text variable route.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Mel

• 4. Re: Can I have a paragraph style begin w/ a text variable?
                peter minneapolis Level 4

miz_nrg wrote:

Thanks to you both!  I used Peter's numbered list suggestion and it worked perfectly.  I had a feeling I may have been approaching it wrong with the text variable route.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Mel

Don't consider the text variable idea as wrong. After all, knowing that variables exist, and have some automatic-capture ability, gave you the idea to try automating the task. Finding that a text variable wasn't quite working gave you the idea to post the question.

Now you have one more arrow in your quiver, so it's that much more than half full.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices