10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2011 9:30 PM by Bob Dix Photographer

Elements 9, DSLR H.264 - What codec is best to edit with & highest quality?

brianburney

Hello All,

I have quite a bit of DSLR footage I recently shot using a Canon 5d.  I have Adobe Premiere Elements 9 and it really chokes down the system.  I have a PC with i7 and 8 gigs of RAM.

What would be the best file format to convert the H.264 footage for editing while maintaining the highest quality possible.  The footage was shot at 24fps.  Please give a detailed description of how to convert it - there are a lot of adjustable settings in the advanced tab of the share section in PrE 9.

Thanks in Advance,

Brian

• 1. Re: Elements 9, DSLR H.264 - What codec is best to edit with & highest quality?
          Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

I presume you are rendering the clips , they run just fine in Premiere Elements 4, probably better to import say 10 at a time depending on the length of the clip, if the H.264mov out of the 5D Mark II is 1920  x 1080 P. Sony Vegas Studio HD Platinum 11 (32 bit) easily handles a lot of H.264 mov files on the timeline and you do not have to convert and no rendering, so does Premiere Pro 5.5 (64bit) at a price ?

If you really must convert ,do it to Microsoft avi /Uncompressed, (and very easy to edit on the timeline) the quality appears to be the same, but, you end up with a large file ? We have been producing blu-ray discs for over 2 years in either H.264 or mpeg-2 from Elements 4 or Premiere Pro to tape, the quality is virtually broadcast & the Export to Pro Tape is stunning on Sony Digitl Master HDV/DVCAM PHDVM-63DM.You cannot tell the difference between direct out of the Canon to a 1920 x 1080 monitor.

Good editing................

Ps. We run a i7 Xeon Quad Core with 12 GB Ram with a NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 and shoot at 25fps PAL in the Canon, never the cinema speed of 24 fps, but, that should not be causing you that problem?

Message was edited by: Bob Dix Photographer

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Elements 9, DSLR H.264 - What codec is best to edit with & highest quality?
            brianburney Level 1

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

I have just been bringing the footage into Elements 9.  It plays them fine, but when I start editing (music videos), playback gets choppy and sometimes stops while the music continues.  I get the red line above the timeline.  It just seems to choke down the computer.

I was hoping to find a codec where I wouldn't lose much in the way of quality but that PrE 9 could handle easily.

Or... Is there a way convert the footage to something PrE 9 can handle easily regardless of quality, something small, and use an edit decision list with the original footage?

Just trying to think of a work around without going crazy.

Thanks,
            Brian

Oh... also... is there a way to batch convert?

• 3. Re: Elements 9, DSLR H.264 - What codec is best to edit with & highest quality?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

That "red line," prompts me to ask what Project Preset you chose, at New Project?

In PrE 9, there is a DSLR Preset, and your H.264 footage should not give you a red line, until you add an Effect, or an overlay, like a PiP, or a Title, or in areas, where you have added a Transition. Even then, you can hit Enter/Return, to Render the Timeline for smoothest possible playback. This ARTICLE goes into more detail on Rendering.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Elements 9, DSLR H.264 - What codec is best to edit with & highest quality?
                brianburney Level 1

It's on the DSLR pre-set.  There are no effects on the clips with the red line above it.  Just two layers of video and one soundtrack.

The computer is new with nothing else on it.

• 5. Re: Elements 9, DSLR H.264 - What codec is best to edit with & highest quality?

Bill,

Is probably right , as he is most times when he is drinking Aussie wine.

I only have PE 4 and when you bring the H.264 mov in there you get a red line, you are better off rendering the working area as it will run smoother.

Ps.  You should not be having problems with the audio, I have just finished editing 35 mins jazz from a live performance, if there is a red line from the h.264mov files as Bill said , you should render the lot. Changing the audio should be easy, but save as you go

Ah, I do not know why there are two track of video in there, you should have one video+ 1 audio track together, unless you have added another video track ?

Ps. If the playback stops and the music continues you have a problem, It has happened to me.You are running a 32 bit piece of software in a 64 bit operating system, it may help if you download  Running Windows XP Mode with Windows Virtual PC as I used to lose files and windows in PP and PE, but, other experts here will tell you it is not necessary, it is worth a try ?

I would start a new project , Clean the Media Cache, bring the H.264mov clips in one by one and  have no gaps , do not disconnect the audio from the video.

Good luck ( you could try Adobe Technical Service, if all else fails ) ?

Message was edited by: Bob Dix Photographer

• 6. Re: Elements 9, DSLR H.264 - What codec is best to edit with & highest quality?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, "two layers of Video," will constitute an overlay, and hence the red line. For smoothest playback, Rendering will be very beneficial.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Elements 9, DSLR H.264 - What codec is best to edit with & highest quality?
                      brianburney Level 1

Thank you guys so much.

It is an overlay with the opacity at 50%.  I have been clearing the audio tracks after I line them up with the song (soundtrack), as it's a music video.  I no longer need the scratch audio.

Yes the rendering helped a great deal.  Sorry for my ignorance.  I didn't even know I could render the timeline.  I thought it kind of did that automatically.

Speaking of Aussie wine, I once visited the Mornington Peninsula's wineries when I lived in Melbourne.  One of my favorite cities.

Thanks Again,

Brian

• 8. Re: Elements 9, DSLR H.264 - What codec is best to edit with & highest quality?

Brian,

You need the beer and wine to remain sane in this game, we all get there in

time, and I bet Adobe Technical Support could not have achieved what you have

worked out in a few minutes.

Regards,

Bob

• 9. Re: Elements 9, DSLR H.264 - What codec is best to edit with & highest quality?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

You need the beer and wine to remain sane in this game, we all get there in time...

I could not agree any more. Sanity, often comes from the Barossa Valley, or similar.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Elements 9, DSLR H.264 - What codec is best to edit with & highest quality?

Bill,

You bet, that took you a while , I thought you were sleeping....... everything is running like a Swiss clock here finally in the editing area, I go back to Adobe Photoshop to relax, no problems, and I mean no issues there.

Regards,

Bob