3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2011 4:20 PM by ExactImage

Autosave and Crashes

wctank

Hello,

Let me start by saying I have been using various versions of Premiere for over ten years and I have been extremely impressed with CS5 for a variety of reasons.  In the past I had been using FCP in conjunction with Premiere and now I have pretty much no need for it, esp. with everything I have heard about FCPX. 

However CS5 still has the crashing issues I have seen since the early days.  Maybe not as often but it still crashes more than FCP ever does.  And the autosave seems to be not functioning properly.   

If I have auto-save set for every 5 min. why did i just lose the last half hour of work from a crash?  I see others have had crashing issues from importing mpgs, which I was doing, among other file formats, and playing back clips periodically, not sure what caused the crash.  But I have had this issue with autosave before and its very frustrating especially on a deadline.....  is there a cache of autosaves I'm not seeing?  Any help/solution would be appreciated, thanks.  -Wes

• 1. Re: Autosave and Crashes
          wctank Level 1

Just crashed again... 

• 2. Re: Autosave and Crashes
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All anyone knows is you have a Mac... you need to provide a LOT more information

More information needed for someone to help http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679
            Some is general about your computer and OS, some is specific to video editing
            Brand/Model Computer (or Brand/Model Motherboard if self-built)
            How much system memory you have installed, such as 2Gig or ???
            Operating System version, such as Win7 64bit Pro... or whatevevr
            -including your security settings, such as are YOU the Administrator
            -and have you tried to RIGHT click the program Icon and then select
            -the Run as Administrator option (for Windows, not sure about Mac)
            Your Firewall settings and brand of anti-virus are you running
            Brand/Model graphics card, sush as ATI "xxxx" or nVidia "xxxx"
            -or the brand/model graphics chip if on the motherboard
            -and the exact driver version for the above graphics card/chip
            -and how much video memory you have on your graphics card
            Brand/Model sound card, or sound "chip" name on Motherboard
            -and the exact driver version for the above sound card/chip
            Size(s) and configuration of your hard drive(s)
            -and how much FREE space is available on each drive (in Windows
            -you RIGHT click the drive letter while using Windows Explorer
            -and then select the Properties option to see used/free space)
            And the EXACT type and size of file that is causing you problems
            -for pictures, that includes the camera used and the pixel dimensions
            Plus Video-Specific Information http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459220?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Autosave and Crashes
              ExactImage Level 3

With Premiere Pro CS5 on a Mac we had a very similar problem.  Auto save would crash the system, especially if we were in Colorista II at the time.

Glad to say CS5.5 has never had any such crashes and appears to be a LOT more stable.

Just after we upgraded to 5.5 Adobe released 5.0.4 (?) that fixed several crash problems - so if you haven't done an update do so now!  Otherwise, upgrade to 5.5 and you'll have a much better experience (not to mention also getting Audition too).

1 person found this helpful