3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2011 2:16 AM by John Hawkinson

Jagged Lines @ jpg Don't Appear in Full Screen?

landrvr1 Level 2

Trying to understand this.

I've got an 8 1/2 x 11 interactive PDF.  1536x1024 is my jpg size, reduced to fit on the page.

Export Settings:

JPEG (Lossy)

Quality High

Resolution 300

Lines in the image appear fairly jagged in 100% view or less.  Full screen view the image is perfect.

Any suggestions as to how I can remedy this?

Tnx

• 1. Re: Jagged Lines @ jpg Don't Appear in Full Screen?
          landrvr1 Level 2

Anyone?  Pushing against a deadline here!  Tnx..

• 2. Re: Jagged Lines @ jpg Don't Appear in Full Screen?
            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I dunno for certain, but I'm pretty sure that you're coming up  against  screen resolution vs. print resolution. If you used very narrow strokes,  then they're not being drawn onscreen at some zoom levels. The lines in  your jpeg are some unknown number of pixels wide, so if the print res  of your jpeg is high enough, then Acrobat is just not drawing them. You  know, the fine lines in your jpeg are some number of pixels wide, and at  print res you certainly can't draw all of those pixels onscreen. Heck, I  wish one of the forum regulars who could actually explain this to you  was in the room.

In terms of meeting your deadline... um... I am pretty sure that  there is a preference in Acrobat to deal with drawing hairlines when  viewing onscreen, but it's a local Acrobat preference, not something you  can control in your user's view of the PDF. If it's only going to  print, then don't worry about it, but if it is going to be downloaded  and viewed onscreen, then I think I can dig up something for you.

What version of Acrobat are you using? Do you need to make a PDF that will display these lines on all versions of Acrobat on all kinds of monitors? Is the JPEG an image that you can edit, or is it some kind of photo? Can you post that JPEG online for us to look at?

• 3. Re: Jagged Lines @ jpg Don't Appear in Full Screen?
              John Hawkinson Level 5

This is a hard problem. It also depends on your screen resolution.

I would honestly experiment with lower resolution export and see if it helps. Remember screens top out around 120dpi.

Also, try bluring your image in Photoshop. In fact, try simulaing this behave your in Photoshop.

It doesn't sound like it is necessarily a JPEG or compression issue a all.

On the other hand you could also try Not Using JPEG.