3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2012 8:17 AM by office@gumspringumc.org

Data Merge & Print Booklet

pr0ject007

I have a 16 page document where I am just trying to print the cover. so instead of making it more complicated I have taken the 1,2 and 15, 16

into a document

where I have only 1-4

In this 4 page document on page 4 I have a field where I want to put my customer addresses so I can mail this document.

I have about 100 clients in my address book

So I want to use data merge but I also want to use print booklet.

Sometimes when I use data merge, Indesign 5.5 crashes on me. I lowered the records to deal with 500 at a time instead. However I realized even if I can get it to generate the 2000 pages. Print booklet isn't going to work correctly for me. (These are 8.5 x 11 pages that I am folding over fyi).

Does anyone have any solutions to help manage the data merge and the print booklet situation properly?

• 1. Re: Data Merge & Print Booklet
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would do this in two steps.

First, print the entire booket without the addresses.

Create a data-merge document on 8.5 x 11 with the addresses only, then re-feed the cover pages through the printer to add address info.

• 2. Re: Data Merge & Print Booklet
            John Hawkinson Level 5
            Sometimes when I use data merge, Indesign 5.5 crashes on me. I lowered the records to deal with 500 at a time instead. However I realized even if I can get it to generate the 2000 pages. Print booklet isn't going to work correctly for me. (These are 8.5 x 11 pages that I am folding over fyi).

If you get crashes, you should check out the crash reports! Unreported crashes will just persist in the next version, so let's get them reported so they can get fixed. Step one is to take a look at the crash report. http://indesignsecrets.com/guide-to-interpreting-indesign-crash-reports.php.

I have a 16 page document where I am just trying to print the cover. so instead of making it more complicated I have taken the 1,2 and 15, 16 into a document where I have only 1-4

So I want to use data merge but I also want to use print booklet.

However I realized even if I can get it to generate the 2000 pages. Print booklet isn't going to work correctly for me. (These are 8.5 x 11 pages that I am folding over fyi).

Does anyone have any solutions to help manage the data merge and the print booklet situation properly?

Sure. Run your data merge. Then, with both documents open, use Pages (panel) > Move Pages to move your 1,2 and 15,16 into the data merged document. Then print booklet.

• 3. Re: Data Merge & Print Booklet
              office@gumspringumc.org

This is not an answer, but rather an extension to this question. My newsletter is 16 pages and I want it to data merge address data, print, half fold and staple the entire document. It will do it if I specify a page range for each of the mail merged docs that show up; i.e., +1-+16, +17-+22, etc. but not if I choose the entire job.