3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2011 8:08 PM by peter minneapolis

Simple Table Text Flow Question

SIcsempertyrannis Level 1

Is it not possible to force flow type from cell to cell either vertically or horizontally? If I set the exact measurements for each cell-the type wont spill into the next cell? I cant figure out how to do it. Often I have to make revisions to tables. I may have to replace type in a cell that is maybe one line w/type that is two lines. If I just type in the cell and dont manually tab it myself the overflow cant be seen.  I also dont see an option to control the direction when tabbing thru a table. It just tabs to the next column. Can you make it tab down the rows in the same column? Thanks w/any help w/this.

• 1. Re: Simple Table Text Flow Question
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Select a cell and go to Table -> Cell Options -> Rows and Columns. If your row height is set to "Exactly" then the row height will not change when you add more text. If it's set to "At Least" then it'll expand when you add text.

I don't think that horizontal cell expansion is possible with ID tables.

Likewise, I don't believe that there is any way to change the behavior of the tab key when in a table (outside of making the table into an RTL table, in which case it'll tab from right to left to match Arabic/Hebrew/etc. table behavior).

• 2. Re: Simple Table Text Flow Question
            SIcsempertyrannis Level 1

yes, joel, that's right, i have the cell set to exactly bc i thought that would force the overflow of text to the next cell, but i guess not. thanx for your input.

• 3. Re: Simple Table Text Flow Question
              peter minneapolis Level 4

SIcsempertyrannus wrote:

Is it not possible to force flow type from cell to cell either vertically or horizontally? If I set the exact measurements for each cell-the type wont spill into the next cell? I cant figure out how to do it. Often I have to make revisions to tables. I may have to replace type in a cell that is maybe one line w/type that is two lines. If I just type in the cell and dont manually tab it myself the overflow cant be seen.  I also dont see an option to control the direction when tabbing thru a table. It just tabs to the next column. Can you make it tab down the rows in the same column? Thanks w/any help w/this.

If the number of rows and columns, and the cell widths and heights are fixed, you might try inserting a threaded grid of grouped text frames, into a containing frame,with paste into. Just a wild idea.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices