4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2011 12:20 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Importing Premiere into Premiere?

nickdclements Level 1

Is there a way to import a Sequence from one Premiere Project into another... BUT... have it just import as like a "clip" (like it does in aftereffects) instead of importing the Whole Sequence, with all the project files?

sequence.jpg

(i really don't understand this... what's with the "dynamic link" if the imported sequence is no longer connected to the original project? it's now an independent copy...)

• 1. Re: Importing Premiere into Premiere?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Dynamic Link doesn't have anything to do between Premiere Pro projects--between PPro and other apps like After Effects and Audition is where DL comes into play.

When you import the sequence you want, just use the sequence as a clip; it's called nesting. Just drag it from the Project Panel into the sequence you're working in. You can also Ctrl/Cmd+double click to load it into the Source Monitor like a regular clip, and edit it into your destination sequence.

• 2. Re: Importing Premiere into Premiere?
            nickdclements Level 1

dl.jpg

It "connects" to the "DL Server" when you import a premiere project into a premiere project...

Yes, nesting is what I want to do... but I want to "nest" a sequence from a diffrent Project... and I don't want to have to import the entire project with all the files, and the editable sequence, I would like it to be just a "clip" ... like Aftereffects or Encore.

ae.jpg

(when i first did this to get the screen shot i used the ">>Import>> Adobe Premiere Pro Project..." option, it imported it, like above with a new, editable composition, and the files needed to create it. when i just did ">>Import>>File.." then it allowed me to import the Premiere Sequence as a Dynamic Link "Clip. ... in Aftereffect)

... But I'm assuming there is currently no functionality for/like this...  Posibaly... import the sequence in Aftereffects, and then back into Premiere...

Maybe not.... it just seems to hang on the import precess... hmm...

• 3. Re: Importing Premiere into Premiere?
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              It "connects" to the "DL Server" when you import a premiere project into a premiere project...

Ah, yes... I forgot it says that. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what, but I suspect it's using the "Dynamic Link server" to give you a live look into another project. Once you select your desired sequence(s), however, that link is broken, and the imported sequence(s) becomes part of the current project. That means that everything comes with it. Seems like it would be a great feature request though: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Yes, nesting is what I want to do... but I want to "nest" a sequence from a diffrent Project... and I don't want to have to import the entire project with all the files, and the editable sequence, I would like it to be just a "clip" ... like Aftereffects or Encore.

Doesn't happent that way, sadly. You'd have to export an intermediate file from your first project, and then import that into the second. Obviously, that's not what you're after, but it's really the only workaround.

... But I'm assuming there is currently no functionality for/like this...  Posibaly... import the sequence in Aftereffects, and then back into Premiere...

Depending on the nature of your sequence, that may or may not work. Not everything will make the trip into AE, so you'll potentially lose or have to redo stuff in AE just to make it work. It would probably be faster just to export an intermediate/master video from the original project.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Importing Premiere into Premiere?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>  To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what, but I suspect it's using the "Dynamic Link server" to give you a live look into another project.

Yep.

The dynamic link in this case is just to that dialog box.