3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2011 8:37 PM by KBStudio

5DMII and H4n audio sync problem

KBStudio Level 1

I have been using a H4n as my audio recorder while feeding the same source audio into the 5DMII using a jumper between the MIC input on the camera and the LINE output on the recorder. Up until today's project, I have had no problems with syncing the two.  I use the camera's audio track and the imported H4n WAV file to sync with the video.  However, today the H4n track is no longer the same length as the camera's audio which was sourced from the H4n through its LINE out.  The properties of the camera audio are; Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz-compressed - Stereo      Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz-32 bit floating point - Stereo.  The properties of the H4n audio file are;  Source Audio Format:  48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo     Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit - Stereo.

What am I doing wrong?  I went back into older jobs and the sync was fine with the same setup.  I am confused.  Is there a setting in the camera which is compressing the audio and thus changing it's length when it is decompressed?  Should Source and Project audio both be set to 16 bit and not 16 bit and 32 bit?

Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: 5DMII and H4n audio sync problem
          ectobuilder50

I don't have the H4N but if you go to a site called dvxuser there would be experienced users of the 5DMkII and the H4N that can help you.

What I've heard is that depending on your framerate (30p vs 24p) you have to set the recording frequency on the H4N differently in order for it to sync properly.

• 2. Re: 5DMII and H4n audio sync problem
            KBStudio Level 1

Have just opened a job I did in early July.  All the frame rates are 29.97, just like this project.  The properties all also identical to this project. Yet all the audio tracks on the earlier job are perfectly synced.

I check the timeline of the new job and the H4n audio is exactly 02:20 seconds slower than the audio it fed to the 5DMII.  I am also running a 60D at the same time.  Both Canon's audio match perfectly.  The 60D is using its camera MIC.  Only the H4n is off.

• 3. Re: 5DMII and H4n audio sync problem
              KBStudio Level 1

I ran a test today and everything sync just fine. Set up the 5DMII with its audio coming from the H4n.  Downloaded both audio from the H4n and the audio video from the 5DMII.  The aduio tracks were identical as they should be.   I am still baffled as to why the H4n audio was so different on the job.  Oh Well.