7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 7:27 AM by Scott Chichelli

Sandy Bridge and PCI lanes/performance question

pauncho1 Level 1

So I was doing some emergency surgery on my old HP and remembered that I have a couple of old graphics cards lying around. And that got me thinking about my ever-expanding collection of hard drives and ever-diminishing free time, backups, and the Sandy Bridge platform's limited PCI lanes and their (real? theoretical?) effect on performance with additional cards- specifically RAID cards. If I am covering old ground, please let me know. 

While I understand there is not a lot to be gained by installing an old ATI HD2400 Pro or similar in a new computer, what I am actually wondering is- after installing the card and running a third monitor on it- the main graphics card and related parts of my system would experience a slowdown similar to what could be expected if a RAID card was installed.

(And no, I'm not trying to reignite any heated Sandy Bridge/X58 discussions. Please- someone, anyone- let them be over!!!)

I am simply wondering if it might be a worthwhile project to compare benchmarks with and without a second graphics card installed and if anyone thinks this would be a logical way to see any effect to the 570's allocation of PCI lanes in isolation, without the complicating issue of an actual external RAID array (and the huge benefits it would likely provide).

• 1. Re: Sandy Bridge and PCI lanes/performance question
          Scott Chichelli Level 3

all you need to know here

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/854514?tstart=30

this was put to bed along time ago..

Scott

ADK

• 2. Re: Sandy Bridge and PCI lanes/performance question
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not sure, are you asking can I install an ATI card for a third monitor in a SB system that has a GTX 570?

• 3. Re: Sandy Bridge and PCI lanes/performance question
              pauncho1 Level 1

Bill: thanks, I was really just asking about the PCI lanes/performance (and for no good reason). Previous comments from yourself (and other posters) have already provided much info about third monitors- and thanks for that, too. If I do decide to go for another monitor, I think I'll try with a cheap GTX first.

Scott: thanks. I had actually scanned the "zip-it" thread a while back but didn't delve into all the details because it seemed pretty much straightforward and common sense. I guess I am just getting paranoid now that it's time to start seriously thinking about spending the cash on a RAID card- which doesn't excuse not going back to re-read a thread I knew existed. Especially the part about not saturating a PCI bus.

My bad- I think I'll go away now and stop wasting people's time!

• 4. Re: Sandy Bridge and PCI lanes/performance question
                Frédéric Segard Level 2

I've been reviewing PPBM5 for some time, and seeing articles such as the one mentioned by Scott, I opted to go the Sandy Bridge 2600K O.C. route, and save myself some money that I can put to better use, like a good audio mixer and reference monitors. Thank goodness I had the opportunity to change my order in time at my vendor.

• 5. Re: Sandy Bridge and PCI lanes/performance question
                  pauncho1 Level 1

I'm actually quite happy with the performance of the computer. But since I no longer plan to upgrade as soon as the next chips come out (unless they are really, really amazing) the idea of a large RAID is starting to get very tempting.

Of course, the reality is that backups are not really that much of a pain, the RAID0 x2 setup I have is perfectly adequate for what I normally do- and if I really do need more speed/power it would probably be for a project with a budget for a "real" editor.

There is no end to gear. I can shoot a darned good little movie for one or two thousand dollars. And it will go a lot farther towards me a better and more productive filmmaker/editor than a RAID card and a few more hard drives would.

• 6. Re: Sandy Bridge and PCI lanes/performance question
                    SuperCrawler Level 1

pauncho1 wrote:

And that got me thinking about ... the Sandy Bridge platform's limited PCI lanes and their (real? theoretical?) effect on performance with additional cards- specifically RAID cards. If I am covering old ground, please let me know.

what I am actually wondering is- after installing the card ... the main graphics card and related parts of my system would experience a slowdown similar to what could be expected if a RAID card was installed.

I am simply wondering if it might be a worthwhile project to compare benchmarks with and without a second graphics card installed and if anyone thinks this would be a logical way to see any effect to the 570's allocation of PCI lanes in isolation, without the complicating issue of an actual external RAID array (and the huge benefits it would likely provide).

Pauncho1,

Hi.

In response to your original post above.

I am not such an expert on these things, and I know it is said that this is "old ground", but how old is old? The very fact that you also still pondered it shows that it is not that old for some of us. It may be old for others, yet is the topic really resolved? We must be careful not to put this topic to bed just because others got tired of it and a handful of tests were run. Someone like me remains curious about the ("real? theoretical?") effect on performance with additional cards, specifically RAID cards, running on the Sandy Bridge platform's limited PCI lanes.

I suggest if time allows, and you be brave and do the test and let us know the results, you would be doing many ponderers a favour, because there are many who still ponder this matter, but became hesitant of raising the topic again in case they get told, "it's old hat", by those who don't want to hear this topic anymore (no need for those who put it to bed to participate in this matter then). What's old to some is new to others, and since the Sandy Bridge platform is still not old at all, and newbies always come in, it is a valid and good topic to keep open for tests and discussion. So the pondering goes on.

The more tests, the clearer the matter and the less we have to ponder the ("real? theoretical?") effect on performance with additional cards concerning Sandy Bridge's PCI lanes.

• 7. Re: Sandy Bridge and PCI lanes/performance question
                      Scott Chichelli Level 3

as i said this has been put to bed.

adding a raid card and a capture device showed no performance degradation.

adding a 2nd video card would require less bandwidth than either of the 2 (as the primary video card is being used for accelleration)

common sense!

nice try however with the snide remark attempt. if you have nothing postive to add dont bother posting. ever wonder why you were banned to begin with?

Scott

ADK