7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2011 9:54 PM by John Hawkinson

Saving kerning as a character style

phyllisj9 Level 2

Is it possible to save kerning as a character style?  I found this article on it:

http://typophile.com/node/69252

But as far as I can tell that doesn't work in CS 5.5.  The kerning just doesn't show up in the character style if I try to create a new character style.  Any ideas?  Is this possible?

Thanks, Phyllis

• 1. Re: Saving kerning as a character style
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Dave Saunders has typically done this by applying a tracking amount to the pair, which you CAN do as part of a style.

• 2. Re: Saving kerning as a character style
            phyllisj9 Level 2

Thanks, but how do you get it into the style?  I tried selecting either letter or both letters and adding it.  I can never get the kern pair style (shown in a picture at that link) to show up.  And I don't see a way to manually enter it (?).

Thanks, Phyllis

• 3. Re: Saving kerning as a character style

Ordinary Character Style dialog... In the Advanced Formats enter a value in the tracking field.

• 4. Re: Saving kerning as a character style

The style, once made can be applied to any characters.

• 5. Re: Saving kerning as a character style
                  phyllisj9 Level 2

Well no wonder I'm confused.   I tried to enter it as kerning rather than tracking.  That link I showed supposedly does it with kerning, but I don't see how.  I guess selecting 2 letters and tracking them will look just the same as kerning between the pair, won't it?

Thanks, Phyllis

• 6. Re: Saving kerning as a character style
                    phyllisj9 Level 2

And I just noticed your post did say "tracking," but I didn't notice it at the time!  Too many people use the terms interchangeably so I confuse them myself.  Take a look at that link if you get a chance though.  At least some versions of InDesign must have had kerning (as well as tracking) available in the character style....

• 7. Re: Saving kerning as a character style
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

And I just noticed your post did say "tracking," but I didn't notice it at the time!  Too many people use the terms interchangeably so I confuse them myself.  Take a look at that link if you get a chance though.  At least some versions of InDesign must have had kerning (as well as tracking) available in the character style....

The terms get used interchangably because on paper, the same thing -- an adjustment to the space between characters as defined by the font and its  tables. But because there are different ways to define the adjustment (pairwise lookup in a kerning table versus an adjustmenet applied to a continuous block of text), there are different terms.

You can almost get this behavior in CS5. You can get the character Styles panel to show you an override. For instance, define a style with Kerning: Metrics, and then apply it to your text. Then, put the cursor between 2 characters (with none selected) and change the pair kerning. Then check Character Styles:

pairkern.png

But strangely, redefining the character style based on it does not preserve them. Goooooooofy.