9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2012 3:00 PM by Jim_Simon

How do I keep Video playing In Backround?

aarongabbard

What I am trying to do is multitask Type on one monitor why the video plays in the other, I have some very long videos that I need to edit and write down in a log, but I can't figure out how to make the video continue to play why I use other browsers and stuff? Anyone know a way?

• 2. Re: How do I keep Video playing In Backround?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

You can't with Premier pro. Use an external video player.

• 3. Re: How do I keep Video playing In Backround?
            aarongabbard Level 1

Why would the developers make the product like this it seems as rediculous as

removing the metronome and not allowing VSTi support for Adobe Audition....Developers need to pull

l it together, No DiVX Support, Won't support a majority of files and now your telling me I can't play videos in the backround while I do other work thats just crazy!

• 4. Re: How do I keep Video playing In Backround?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Premiere Pro supports just about every standardized camera format there is, end then some.  And it does this natively.  It is a professional tool, designed for professionals (who really don't use Divx as source material all that much).

Having said that, it is not a perfect piece of software, fully complete without any room for improvement which obviates the need for other tools in your arsenal.  If PP won't do what you need, then like anyone else, you need to find something else that will.  There are a myriad of free media players out there that will handle this task.

• 5. Re: How do I keep Video playing In Backround?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you want to request a change, you can submit feature requests (and bug reports) here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

(more on feedback for Premiere Pro)

One of the assumptions that we make is that people doing professional work will not be doing much with their video editing system other than video editing. Most people doing professional work are using their dedicated video editing workstation for Premiere Pro and have a cheap laptop next to them for such things as browsers, iTunes, and email.

• 6. Re: How do I keep Video playing In Backround?
                  Keith_Clark Level 2

aarongabbard wrote:

What I am trying to do is multitask Type on one monitor why the video plays in the other, I have some very long videos that I need to edit and write down in a log, but I can't figure out how to make the video continue to play why I use other browsers and stuff? Anyone know a way?

if your just depending on audio cues for editing certain things, a workaround i have used is to import your sequence into Audition, and leave it playing in the background, and while doing other things you can still hear the timeline. i do that when i'm doing AE work on one timeline, but wanting to edit another at the sametime. works fine for me.

edit: forgot to add that when i hear the cue i want, i make note of the timepoint, and what i want to do with that moment of video in notepad, and go on.

• 7. Re: How do I keep Video playing In Backround?
                    ujokasjdflkjawkfjasdf

First of all, my name is not a trolling name; I tried 4-5 different names all of them unavailable, I just got frustrated.  I will, in the future, use this account for legitmate posts.  I even consider this one legitmate, even though it's entirely out of frustration.

Todd, I'm almost at a loss for words. That is perhaps, the most idiotic thing I've ever read.  Yes, most people doing professional work use a dedicated video editing workstation, but how is that an excuse for forcing playback to stop when Premiere is inactive?  It's not, plain and simple.  Even if your 'assumption' could possibly serve as a half decent excuse, it still wouldn't hold it's ground very well.  Premiere pro is a relatively affordable piece of software, even for non-professionals, so it's actually likely that there are just as many people out there using it for personal use, as there are professionals.  I could also add, that at least in my case, I do not have any physical room on my desk for a laptop, and I'm sure there are plenty others in the same boat.

I could argue all day, but I doubt I could penetrate the thick skulls that actually believe this functionality to be reasonable.  If you've any common sense at all, a simple argument about flexibility would be all I need.  Unfortunately, there would be no short supply of fools that would actually argue against implementing an option to enable or disable the pausing of timeline previews when adobe premiere is not the active window.  It's incredibly irritating, even infuriating, that people not only are able, but actually DO argue against flexibility!

• 8. Re: How do I keep Video playing In Backround?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I tried 4-5 different names all of them unavailable

While it's not required (though in my opinion, it should be), your real name is the best option.

• 9. Re: How do I keep Video playing In Backround?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

most people doing professional work use a dedicated video editing workstation, but how is that an excuse for forcing playback to stop when Premiere is inactive?

I don't believe it was offered as a "reason" for the current behavior.  I read it as more of a scenario under which most PP users would be working.