27 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2011 10:45 AM by Noel Carboni RSS

Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

Pheonren Community Member

Okay, so this is a silly question/problem, but it's still one I would like to resolve. I am trying to edit some Minecraft .png files so that I can fix a mod. However, when I ask the computer to open it in Photoshop (I have 6), it opens Photoshop but then it just sits there as if it's finished. No message, nothing of that sort. It just... does nothing at all.

Any suggestion on how I could fix this?

Thank you so much for any help!!

~PheonRen

• 1. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will
          the_wine_snob Community Member

Welcome to the forum.

What is different about the PNG files that will open, and the ones that will not?

Though more often used for AV files, MediaInfo does a pretty good job of pulling out all the specs. to most still image file formats. Have not tried it with PNG's, so do not know how well it will work. Will test, and report back. If it does handle them, it might point out differences, and it's free.

Also, will the problem PNG files open in other programs, like IrfanView? Usually, if a file will not open in PS, one does get an error message, but you did not.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Yes, PNG files do open in MediaInfo, and look at the details in Tree View.

• 2. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will
            Noel Carboni Community Member

If you're willing, post one of the PNGs that won't open here and I (or others) can let you know if a newer version of Photoshop can deal properly with the file.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

Well, sometimes (randomly), it will open .png files as gifs if I install the plugin immediately before opening Photoshop. Same files it will other times not open. This one, it opened once as a gif and then won't open again at all. It has opened one other one (which I no longer have) as a gif.

I downloaded a png plugin, but it doesn't even show up on my plugins. It's very odd, actually.

Anyway, I am happy to upload the file, except I don't know how?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

Use the little camera icon just above where you type to upload an image file.

Why are you trying to load a plug-in?  Photoshop 6.0 really should handle PNG files right out of the box.  I suspect there's could be something wrong with the file, and we can try to verify that with the file you post here.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

kz.png.png

Thank you. There's the file.

I am trying to load a plug-in because it won't open the files. If it opened the files for me to begin with, I wouldn't have tried to find a way to get it to open png files.

• 6. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will
                    JJMack MVP

Is that one the does not open for you in Photoshop???  Are you using Photoshop version 6 which is very old or Photoshop Elements 6 which is just old?

• 7. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

That is one of them. Photoshop just opens and no file/picture ever comes up in it. Photoshop 6.

• 8. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will
                        MTSTUNER Community Member

Part of the problem may be that your file has two file extensions and even

though they are both png, it's usually a good idea to only use periods on the

the file extension and no where else in the file name.

Photoshop thinks any periods stand for file extensions and may get confused

if it sees more than one period.

MTSTUNER

• 9. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

That image opened right up in my copy of Photoshop 6.0, so it's not a fundamental incompatibility of Photoshop 6.0.

Something to look at...  You say you don't get any error message, but Photoshop doesn't display the image...  Do the panels change to where it looks like the image is being opened but just not shown to you (e.g., choose Window - Navigator, then try to open the image).

-Noel

• 10. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will
                            MTSTUNER Community Member

I was able to open the file in photoshop 6 without any problem.

Have you tried using File>Open As and choosing png and also is your

photoshop 6 updated to 6.01?

MTSTUNER

• 11. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will
                              JJMack MVP

MTSTUNER wrote:

Photoshop thinks any periods stand for file extensions and may get confused

if it sees more than one period.

That is not a problem you can have many periods in a file name   like  "John Doe Jr. C.E.O. Adobe Inc..png" should not be a problem its a proper file name just not a normal file name.

• 12. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will
                                JJMack MVP

Also post a list of the plug-ins you have inatslled in the plug-in root and file format directories so we can see what is there

Directory of C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins

08/27/2011  10:40 AM    <DIR>          .

08/27/2011  10:40 AM    <DIR>          ..

06/06/2007  09:31 PM    <DIR>          Adobe ImageReady Only

06/06/2007  09:31 PM    <DIR>          Adobe Photoshop Only

06/06/2007  09:31 PM    <DIR>          Digimarc

08/14/2011  02:33 PM    <DIR>          Displacement Maps

06/06/2007  09:31 PM    <DIR>          Effects

06/06/2007  10:16 PM    <DIR>          Extensions

06/06/2007  09:31 PM    <DIR>          File Formats

06/06/2007  09:31 PM    <DIR>          Filters

06/06/2007  09:31 PM    <DIR>          Import-Export

08/27/2011  10:40 AM                 0 list.txt

04/03/2010  06:29 PM           618,496 NeatImage.8bf

06/06/2007  09:31 PM    <DIR>          Parser

2 File(s)        618,496 bytes

12 Dir(s)  11,098,345,472 bytes free

Directory of C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins\File Formats

08/27/2011  10:41 AM    <DIR>          .

08/27/2011  10:41 AM    <DIR>          ..

03/22/2005  02:20 AM            37,376 BMP.8BI

03/22/2005  02:21 AM            14,848 FilmStrip.8BI

03/22/2005  02:23 AM            20,992 PCX.8BI

03/22/2005  02:23 AM           139,264 Photo CD.8BI

03/22/2005  02:24 AM            14,848 Pixar.8BI

03/22/2005  02:25 AM            26,112 Targa.8BI

7 File(s)        253,440 bytes

2 Dir(s)  11,098,300,416 bytes free

• 13. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

Yes. I added that on after the problem arose. It doesn't open it with or without it.

• 14. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

My Photoshop had not been updated. I updated it, and still could not open the file.

On the pick list for "open as", png is not an option.

• 15. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

Here are my plugin folders. Are there any you would like a list of what's inside the folders?

Parser

Import-Export

Filters

File Formats

Effects

Displacement Maps

Digimarc

Adobe Photoshop Only

Adobe ImageReady Only

I don't know how you got that list that you displayed.

• 16. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

Nothing at all happens when I open it. No layers displayed, no mini-pic, nothing at all. Blank Photoshop as if I had just opened it by itself.

• 17. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

Pheonren wrote:

On the pick list for "open as", png is not an option.

It should be.  Something you've installed or done to Photoshop must be blocking it.

PS6OpenAs.jpg

When you tried to install that PNG plug-in, did you remove it again?

Do you have the Adobe Png.8bi plug-in on your system in one of these two places (the second one is where it goes on 64 bit systems)?

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 6.0\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\File Formats\Png.8bi

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop 6.0\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\File Formats\Png.8bi

-Noel

• 18. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

I did not remove it, but it's not there. Am I not supposed to put it directly into the folder?

• 19. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

Maybe it doesn't work for mine. The folder it is in says "Photoshop 7" although it stated it worked as far back as 5.5.

And I'm sorry it was in there.

• 20. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will
                                                JJMack MVP

Pheonren wrote:

Here are my plugin folders. Are there any you would like a list of what's inside the folders?

Parser

Import-Export

Filters

File Formats

Effects

Displacement Maps

Digimarc

Adobe Photoshop Only

Adobe ImageReady Only

I don't know how you got that list that you displayed.

The good all old  fasion DOS command Dir. If  you can not do that use windows file explore and capture two  screen showing the files inside the root plugin directory and inside the file format directory all you showed are directories no plug-ins use the details view please.

• 21. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

Assuming by "it" you're talking about the PNG plug-in...  Is this plug-in you're trying to put in that folder the one from Adobe for Photoshop 6.0?

Do you have permissions to write into that folder?  What OS are you running?

I think rather than messing around with individual files I'd suggest reinstalling Photoshop.

-Noel

• 22. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

It's superpng.

I do have permissions for the folders.

I have a ton of WoW stuff to reinstall, so I'd rather just live without than have to reinstall.

• 23. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

Pheonren wrote:

Maybe it doesn't work for mine. The folder it is in says "Photoshop 7" although it stated it worked as far back as 5.5.

You seem to have some confusion over versions...

You're working with Photoshop 6.0, right?  Are you sure?  What does Help - About in Photoshop say.

The folders for Photoshop 6.0 are as I listed above, exactly, they do not contain the numeral 7.

-Noel

• 24. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

I am working in photoshop 6. I meant that the folder that I downloaded the superpng plugin in. It comes in a folder which I had to unzip. The folder they had labeled Photoshop 7, but in their description of their product, it said it worked as far back as version 5.5.

So sorry for the confusion and inaccurate explanation.

Here are the folders as requested:

plugins-folder.gif

file-folder.gif

• 25. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

I can't say why your SuperPNG plug-in won't work.  It looks like you have it in the right place.  You HAVE closed and restarted Photoshop after putting it there, right?

Is there anything special about the PNG files you're editing that makes you think you need something more than the standard Adobe plug-in?

If you're unwilling to reinstall Photoshop to recover the Adobe Png.8bi that has been deleted, I don't know what else to advise.

-Noel

• 26. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

I don't think there's anything special about them. I can't open any png files except once in a while, for whatever reason, they'll open as a gif.

I will reinstall it. I think I should have it working properly either way.

I'm in the path of a hurricane right now, and reinstalling is going to be a big job with all the photoshop wow stuff, so I think I'll leave that til Monday.

I'll let you know if that fixes it.

Thanks so much for your help and patience.

• 27. Re: Some .png Files Won't Open, Others Will

For what it's worth, the Photoshop installation doesn't wipe out previously installed plug-ins, and doesn't reset preferences.  It may not be as traumatic as you think.

Best of luck with Irene.  I hope it's losing strength.

-Noel