9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2011 6:28 AM by thorpelah

adjusting data speed

thorpelah

In the help for Elements 9, it states "With some video codecs, you can specify the data speed," and I would like to know what codecs these are. At the moment I am trying to convert 1080i video to 720p, and the best I can come up with are files which look decent but have a ludicrously high data speed and are in the range of 3GB for one minute of footage.

Does anyone know what I should be using? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: adjusting data speed
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you adjusting the data speed for your output?

If so, which Share settings have you selected?

Many of the Share options are optimized for particular uses. How do you plan to display your 1280x720 video? There is likely an ideal setting that will give you the best quality with the smallest file size.

• 2. Re: adjusting data speed
            thorpelah Level 1

At the moment, this is the output method I am using:

Export to AVI using the "Microsoft Video 1" codec

1280x720, 59.94fps, Progressive, Square Pixels, Quality 100, Depth 16

Shifting down the quality does little to reduce the data speed while

noticeably decreasing the quality. What I'm more interested to know if there

are actually codecs which allow data speed to be fine-tuned. With the codecs

included in the original package, that does not seem to be the case.

• 3. Re: adjusting data speed

An AVI is probably not the best, most efficient format for hi-def video.

Many of the Share options are optimized for particular uses. How do you  plan to display your 1280x720 video? There is likely an ideal setting  that will give you the best quality with the smallest file size.

• 4. Re: adjusting data speed
                thorpelah Level 1

I have a number of clips filmed in 1080i that I would like to edit alongside

the majority of my 720p clips. All I want to do is create a file which is

similar in size and data speed to the latter. This is not the final output

as the files will be funneled into Elements once more.

• 5. Re: adjusting data speed
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For intermediate files, I like the Lagarith Lossless CODEC, or the UT Lossless CODEC. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: adjusting data speed
                    thorpelah Level 1

I was looking for a way around the huge file sizes, but I guess if I want lossless quality then it's unavoidable. In any case, I don't have many files that need to be converted. I've used the Lagarith codec with success. Thanks, Bill!

• 7. Re: adjusting data speed

Though of course, in case nobody mentioned it, there is an optimal file format and compression setting for every use. An excellent web video would use very different settings and than an excellent disc-based video at the same resolution.

Once again, if we knew what you were using this video for, we could make more specific recommendations.

• 8. Re: adjusting data speed
                        thorpelah Level 1

The videos I am converting to 720p are being edited alongside videos

recorded in 720p, and as such are not the final output. Eventually, the

finished product will be put on disc.

• 9. Re: adjusting data speed

If that's the case, you should be outputting your videos using Share/Computer/MPEG using the preset for 1440x1080. This creates an HDV file at excellent editing quality -- about 12 gigs per hour of footage. (Essentially the same as DV-AVIs are for regular definition video.)

You can then load these videos (.m2t's) into a project set up for HDV and they will work beautifully.

Other codecs and compression sets may produce files of varying sizes, but this will create the perfect file for usage in another hi-def project. In fact, other codecs or file formats may actually give you MORE problems later if you try to use them as source footage in another project. (I explain this all in greater details in my book, if you're interested.)

This is likewise the ideal format to output if you plan to use your video as source footage for a BluRay disc.

This is why we always recommend starting at the end to get to the beginning. If you figure out what you ultimately want to output, it's much easier to figure out what you need to do at the beginning.

And all of this, of course, is dependent on your choosing the best project settings for your source footage when you first start your project too.