3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2011 4:53 AM by Peter Spier

Question about the tabs tool

3ty5gher

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding the tabs tool in indesign cs5.

1st, I'm creating a balance sheet and I want to know how do I align the decimal places here? The increments are too large so if I make one move to the left or one move to the right, the alignment will be a bit off. The numbers are all right aligned with the exception of the ones in brackets where it sticks out.

tab1.jpg

tab2.jpg

Also, is there a way to lock tabs for scale? If im at a 100% view, the measuring scale in the dialogue box is accurate, but when I zoom in, i have to manually realign the scale so that it fits and when I zoom out, the scale won't change so I have to manually adjust again. It's a bit time consuming so i'm wondering if such a command exists.

Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: Question about the tabs tool
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Good evening, 3ty5gher:

1st, I'm creating a balance sheet and I want to know how do I align the decimal places here? The increments are too large so if I make one move to the left or one move to the right, the alignment will be a bit off. The numbers are all right aligned with the exception of the ones in brackets where it sticks out.

Don't you want two digits of cents? In any case, use a decimal tab:

decimaltab.png

Also, is there a way to lock tabs for scale? If im at a 100% view, the measuring scale in the dialogue box is accurate, but when I zoom in, i have to manually realign the scale so that it fits and when I zoom out, the scale won't change so I have to manually adjust again. It's a bit time consuming so i'm wondering if such a command exists.

If you click the magnet, circled in cyan above,  then the 0 point of the tab ruler will align with the left edge of the textframe. This only works if the left edge of the text frame is visible at your magnification.

• 2. Re: Question about the tabs tool
            3ty5gher Level 1

I appreciate the quick response!

anyways, thanks! your answers helped a lot!

• 3. Re: Question about the tabs tool
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In addition to what John said, for the tab ruler to snap to the column the top of the column must also be visible initially with enough room above to hold the ruler. Once snapped you can scroll vertically, but the ruler will not remain snapped with a zoom or horizontal scroll.

Also, when making tables of numbers it's important to use "tabular" figures rather than "proportional." The former have equal width for all glyphs, the latter have glyph widths that fit the number, so 333 will take more space than 111, no matter what you set for tabs. Sone fonts offer a choice of figure style (typically OpenType fonts), so you chould check.