11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2011 8:41 AM by the_wine_snob

Importing raw Avi video file yield no video

Preklisn

Hi all.

I'm trying Premiere Pro CS5 on my 64bit Windows 7 OS. But here is the deal : as I try to import a raw .avi file Premiere Pro would success, but show audio only, and display no video at all. I find it annoying, as I'm speaking of uncompressed .avi video here (~600 Mo for a 20s excerpt). Technical information :

* AVI file created with mencoder : « mencoder input.mkv -ovc raw -oac pcm -of avi -o output.avi »

* Mencoder version : « MEncoder SVN-r34010-4.5.2 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team »

* GSpot show raw video format and indicate « No codec required » for the video field

* Premiere Pro CS5 & Windows Seven 64bit

* Import works, but result is audio only

I'm bewildered as I did not find extensive information on the subject. So please tell me if I'm missing something in the importation process. Otherwise can anybody please indicates me a lossless video codec that Premiere Pro can import, and which I can convert to with mencoder (I use mencoder on Ubuntu).

• 1. Re: Importing raw Avi video file yield no video
          Harm Millaard Level 7

That material is not editable with PR, so:

1. Convert to something editable, like Lagarith, or

2. Use another program to edit that stuff, or

3. Use material from a decent video camera you shot yourself.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Importing raw Avi video file yield no video
            Preklisn Level 1

I do not know the Lagarith codec, is it to be encapsulated in .avi container, or something else ? I'm gonna check this out. This is probably the way I'll try to solve my issue, so just in case can you suggest other lossless video codec supported by Premiere Pro ? I would like to try some of them for myself, so I'll die less dumb.

• 3. Re: Importing raw Avi video file yield no video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I would also experiment with UT Lossless CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Importing raw Avi video file yield no video
                Preklisn Level 1

So ... I just tried to install the Lagarith Codec from the official website (seems fine). I didn't know which encoder to use, so I tried with Adobe Media Encoder, convert my uncompressed .avi to a lossless Lagarith .avi file ... unsuccessfully. AME yields a 3.6 Mo file which contains audio only, and no video. Does show any error message either, so I don't know what part didn't work.

Next attempt with UT Video Codec. I'll keep you informed.

EDIT : No luck either. Adobe Media Encoder doesn't seem to recognise the video parts of my input files (the uncompressed .avi or the h264 encoded original .mkv). So converting the media with AME is not a solution. I'm not familliar to video encoding on Windows, so anyone can help me figure out how to encode to Lagarith or UT ? I know it's not directly related to Premiere Pro ... but it's part of my original problem.

• 5. Re: Importing raw Avi video file yield no video
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  3.6 Mo file

There it is again.  What's with the "o"?  Standard notation is MB (megabyte) or Mb (megabit).  What's "Mo" stand for (besides Larry and Curly's cohort)?

• 6. Re: Importing raw Avi video file yield no video
                    Preklisn Level 1

Sorry. I'm French, so Mo stands for "mega-octet", and Mo = MB. I just meant that the produced file contained only the audio track.

• 7. Re: Importing raw Avi video file yield no video
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>AVI file created with mencoder 

Once you have a file that doesn't work, I don't think you will be able to use any program to convert THAT FILE to a file that works with PPro

I think you need to use a different codec for the original creation process... or a different program to create the file

>use mencoder on Ubuntu

Hmm... that is a version of Linux?

I have no idea what you could use to create your file, or even the original source of your data to create the file, but it seems clear (to me, at least) that what you are doing results in a file that won't work... so you need to do your original creation with some other software tool

• 8. Re: Importing raw Avi video file yield no video
                        Preklisn Level 1
                        Once you have a file that doesn't work, I don't think you will be able to use any program to convert THAT FILE to a file that works with PPro

Well ... the uncompressed .avi file works well with Windows Media Player, and also plays well in VLC. But I don't know why it doesn't play video on Premiere Pro, nor why Adobe Media Encoder ignore the video part of the file as well (it may be the same reason). And it's rather surprising ... because it's just a damn uncompressed .avi :s

As for converting directly from the original file, I'd very much like to, as long as I use a lossless process. I'm a Linux user so I don't know about encoding softwares in Windows that can convert h264 encoded .mkv or uncompressed .avi to Lagarith or UT .avi files. And mencoder or ffmpeg (the softwares I use to encode in Linux), propose neither of them.

Hmm... that is a version of Linux?

Yes. Ubuntu is a Linux distribution, based on Debian. It's like ... the most popular version of Linux I guess, but sorry for not pointing this out.

EDIT : Okay I just found via another thread two discussions about MKV files and Premiere Pro. I will look into them and hope I find something useful.

• 9. Re: Importing raw Avi video file yield no video
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you find a good converter for MKV's, please post it. Much of what is in those threads (besides the tangents on MKV itself), is a bit of speculation. Not sure that there are that many "tried and true" methods mentioned, but then both threads are from some time ago, so maybe I have forgotten recs. for what worked for others.

Good luck, and there is another, fairly recent thread, on raw AVI Uncompressed causing issues. Do not recall the details now.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Importing raw Avi video file yield no video
                            Preklisn Level 1

Okay, so, here is a small update on my own trials and tribulations :

I first tried to extract separate audio and video tracks from my original .mkv :

* Extract raw audio (.wav) using a combination of mencoder and mkvextract, or you may just try to use directly the audio track produced by mkvextract (it will be a .aac, .ac3, .dts, ... depending on your original file), and use them in Premiere Pro.

* Extract the h264 encoded video track to a .mp4 file containing video only, also done with mencoder. Those .mp4 files will play fine in Premier Pro.

Then you just have to load video and audio separately, sync them if any issue remains, then link them and edit your clip as usual. mencoder and mkvextract are Linux tools, but they are also available on Windows, and I suggest using graphical front-end like SUPER (for mencoder) and mkvtoolnix (the bunch of tools that comes with mkvextract).

But I was not entirely satisfied with this solution : small sync issues due to inconsistent framerates, or Premiere Pro crashes with some .mp4 files (I think it the same bug as mentionned in this thread, but I'm not sure). Hence I looked for the lossless video conversion solution.

Well, it happens that Virtualdub works pretty fine. I don't know what this Video for Windows (or VfW) interface is supposed to be, and maybe this Video Compression Manager can be used directly without Virtualdub, but I don't know how. Either way, Virtualdub offered me to save my raw uncompressed .avi file as a Lagarith or UT Video Codec .avi, so I was happy with that. Summary of the process :

* Convert .mkv file to raw uncompressed .avi with pcm audio (using mencoder or a front-end like SUPER).

* Convert raw uncompressed .avi to Lagarith .avi (or using another lossless codec) with Virtualdub.

* Open the resulting .avi in Premiere Pro ... and be happy.

I'm not entirely done with my clip edition, but so far it seems to work fine.

• 11. Re: Importing raw Avi video file yield no video
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for taking the time to post the steps in your workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt