9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2011 9:03 PM by tm6550

I'll never understand this without help . . .

tm6550 Level 1

I've set up my novel so that the pagination isn't correct, and I can't figure out how to fix it. Here's a screen grab of the pages panel:

pages panel.jpg

A-master pages are a spread with mirror-image headers (title, author name, and page numbers). B-master pages are for chapter starts with headers removed.

What I intended was for the title page i to be right-facing odd, followed by copyright page ii left-facing even, then acknowledgements page iii and dedication page iv, and page 1 of the novel right-facing odd. But I inadvertently added a right-facing odd page v following the dedication, and that has shoved the first page of chapter one into a left-facing even position.

I've been trying to delete the blank page v and/or move page 1 into its place. Reading help files and online information about deleting pages has not produced a solution that removes the blank right half of the page iv-v spread. I'd appreciate learning how to fix this. Thank you.

• 1. Re: I'll never understand this without help . . .
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You do need to delete page V. The only thing I can think of that might be preventing this is Smart Text Reflow. Is it possible you have a frame on that page that is linked to a previous page and it has only an empty paragraph?

• 2. Re: I'll never understand this without help . . .
            tm6550 Level 1

Thank you, Peter, and look what I found (inserted below). Much earlier in the process I had trouble with text shifting when I'd edit something, and content that should have stayed on facing A-master pages would shift to a B-master page and vice versa. You showed me how to correct that by breaking the continuous thread all the way though the novel and separating chapters into stories. What I didn't do was keep going after separating chapter one from two, so the front matter is still threaded to chapter one. I just tried to use your steps to fix this by breaking the thread at the end of the dedication page, and managed to bring the beginning of chapter one forward  to the blank page immediately after the dedication. But that still left single pages where I didn't want them, so I stopped there to show you this screen grab. Does this give you enough information to talk me through the fix? Thanks. Tosh

screen grab 1.jpgi

• 3. Re: I'll never understand this without help . . .

I'm still not seeing a reason why you can't delete that blank page, but it surely won't hurt to break the thread again in font of it.

• 4. Re: I'll never understand this without help . . .

If you need to post another screen shot, turn on non-printing characters so we can see things like empty paragraphs or page breaks.

• 5. Re: I'll never understand this without help . . .
                  tm6550 Level 1

I forgot to mention that smart text reflow is off. Non-printing characters are not hidden in the shots below. As I  mentioned, I was able to bring the chapter one text into the empty page to the right of the dedication page, but that left the single page that used to contain chapter one text. I felt that I was just propagating a problem farther into the novel. Maybe I should break the thread between the front matter dedication page and the beginning of chapter one, then delete the empty single chapter one page (which is what I haven't been able to do, get rid of the page itself as opposed to what's on it) before pasting the overset text into a series of spreads without a single page stuck in there?

grab 2.jpg

grab 3.jpg

• 6. Re: I'll never understand this without help . . .

After the dedication, that hidden character is a page break. The "blank page" has an empty paragraph and another page break.

It would be sufficient to delete the breaks and empty paragraph, and then delete page V, but I'd break the thread between the front matter and the first chapter out of principle.

• 7. Re: I'll never understand this without help . . .
                      tm6550 Level 1

I just figured out how to solve the problem by breaking the thread between last page of the front matter (dedication) and the blank page beside it so that the first chapter was overset text. Before pasting it into the previously blank page adjacent to the dedication, I deleted the single page that used to contain the first page of chapter one. With the B-Master page applied to the page immediately following the dedication, I pasted in the overset text, and it looks exactly as I think it should.

But the pagination changed so that page 1 begins with the title page rather than the first page of chapter one, which I think means that I have to add a section break (if that's what it's called) that will allow me to number the front matter pages i through v and begin the novel by restarting the pagination at page 1. I tried that a couple of times and ended up with the entire novel paginated in roman numerals, so I've got some more learning to do.

Thanks for your help with the original problem.

• 8. Re: I'll never understand this without help . . .

Just reset the section numbering. You deleted the section start page for page 1.

• 9. Re: I'll never understand this without help . . .
                          tm6550 Level 1

Done, thanks for the help.