9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2011 4:17 PM by John T Smith

Problems importing mts files from Canon HF M30 to PrE 9

minnytagg

I am not new to premiere elements, but I am new to PrE 9.  I am also new to AVCHD, having recently received a Canon HF M30 camcorder.  Now, when I import my video (as .mts files), the playback in Premiere Elements 9 is very choppy.  What am I doing wrong?  Is there something I can do with my camera or with PrE to fix the problem?  Or do I need to convert my video files to another format?

I realize this may have been asked before, so feel free to direct me to the appropriate discussion if the issue has already been addressed elsewhere.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Problems importing mts files from Canon HF M30 to PrE 9
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, what Project Preset did you choose at New Project, AVCHD?

If you did, your AVCHD Clips should not have red lines above them in the Timeline. Do you have red lines? If so, if you hit Enter to Render the Timeline, how is playback?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problems importing mts files from Canon HF M30 to PrE 9
            minnytagg Level 1

Thanks for your quick response.  Yes, I chose the 1080i AVCHD preset.  There were no red lines above the clips in the timeline.  When I play the files using another program (e.g. Media Player) they play the same way (jerky, at times like a series of still frames).  Any other advice?

• 3. Re: Problems importing mts files from Canon HF M30 to PrE 9
              minnytagg Level 1

Interestingly, the first second or two of each clip plays relatively smoothly, then reverts to the stop-motion look.  Also, if

I pause a clip, then resume, it plays a bit smoother for another second or so, before reverting.  Is this an

issue with my computer system, perhaps?  I have 3 gb of RAM, plenty of hard drive space.  My processor is a bit older--Pentium 4 3.00 GHz.

• 4. Re: Problems importing mts files from Canon HF M30 to PrE 9
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, a Pentium isn't going to have nearly enough power to work with AVCHD video.

Most people who are successfully editing AVCHD have quad core or i7 processors.

Sorry, but there's no way to tune up the program or your system to handle this type of video. In fact, in the "real world" system minimums in my book, I recommend at least a dual core processor for doing basic DV editing. Trying to use this program on a Pentium system is only going to leave you very frustrated.

• 5. Re: Problems importing mts files from Canon HF M30 to PrE 9
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The is from the PPro forum, but is still a good example

This message has a really good graphic about requirements
                  CS5 Requirements http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750?tstart=0

Click the picture to enlarge for reading

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Problems importing mts files from Canon HF M30 to PrE 9
                    minnytagg Level 1

So, is it safe to say that the mts files have imported appropriately, but don't play smoothly due to my CPU processor speed?  I'm not in a position to upgrade yet (I have an old Dell--not easy to change processors).  Can I just import/backup my video files for later processing?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Problems importing mts files from Canon HF M30 to PrE 9

>is it safe to say

Yes, it is completely safe to say that your Pentium 4 computer will not edit AVCHD smoothly... and, you can't just replace the CPU, you need an entirely new computer

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 460 or whatever is the current "best bang for the buck" - AND I would buy 4Gig-by-3Sticks memory to be able to expand from 12Gig to 24Gig if needed
                      For my home hobbyist, family movies (which means that I am not trying to recreate Star Wars with video effects or many layers) AVCHD editing is "as smooth as spreading warm butter on hot toast" (also the MP4 video from wife's Flip camera)
                      My 3 hard drives are configured as...
                      1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs
                      2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files
                      3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)
                      (*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files
                      Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file
                      http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US
                      Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
                      You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
                      Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
                      You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
                      A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing
                      You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything
                      I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit
                      Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing
                      Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208?tstart=0 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433?tstart=0 use USB externals for editing
                      A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used this eSata Dock... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers
                      http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

You could also consider an i7-2600 CPU (and the appropriate motherboard) with 16Gig of Ram

• 8. Re: Problems importing mts files from Canon HF M30 to PrE 9
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used this eSata Dock... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers

I have not used USB 3.0, but have begun using eSATA, and can confirm that they are great. I have not done specific benchmarking, so these are just my impressions: eSATA is probably 10% faster than FW-800, and within the ability of my observations, equal to the throughput of my internal SATA discs. Before, I relied on FW-800, with no issues, and few "waits." I have not had any noticable slowdown, but notice that eSATA is faster, but not by THAT much.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Problems importing mts files from Canon HF M30 to PrE 9

Added Thought

If you continue using P9 for editing, and buy/build an i7-2600 computer, use Win7 64bit so it will use "about" 5Gig for itself and you then have "about" 3Gig for PreElements 9

You do still need at least 2 hard drives, 3 is better... some people use 4 drives, with separate data input and output drives