5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2011 12:53 PM by John Hawkinson

How do I use a picture as Drop caps?

AndreasCarlsson Level 1

I have a picture that I want to place to the left of the paragraph. I want the same function as a Drop cap, ie it should occupy a certain amount of rows, and it should follow the first line in the paragraph.

Just placing the picture before the first letter and juggle with the Text Wrap settings seems to be impossible. I have to use the Drop cap setting, but then I get other strange behaviors.

Placing it as a picture alloww me to adjust the Text Wrap and position correctly, but then the image will not follow the Paragraph...

I hate when I don't understand how I should do things!

How do I do?

Drop Cap.png
        • 1. Re: How do I use a picture as Drop caps?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Text Wrap is the best way to go. But you also want the graphic to move with the text.

So you need to create an Anchored Object. You can read about the topic in InDesign Help.

If you tried to cut and paste the graphic into the text, it won't work because it's just creating an inline graphic. You actually want to create the graphic to be anchored in the previous paragraph so you can also have the text wrap. Here are a couple screen captures to help you.

TextWrap2.jpg

Anchored Object.jpg

It's a lot easier to create this in InDesign CS5.5 (you didn't say which version of InDesign you're using) because you can drag from a blue square which appears at the upper right corner to where you'd like to anchor the file. It's a little trickier in earlier versions of InDesign.

• 2. Re: How do I use a picture as Drop caps?
            AndreasCarlsson Level 1

Thanks Steve,

I was messing around with anchored objects when you replied. Now I know I'm doing it the "right" way, feels good!

I'm at CS5 only, one reason to upgrade then...!

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: How do I use a picture as Drop caps?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Steve Werner wrote:

If you tried to cut and paste the graphic into the text, it won't work because it's just creating an inline graphic. You actually want to create the graphic to be anchored in the previous paragraph so you can also have the text wrap.

That's just not true. Anchoring the image inline as the first character in the paragraph should work just fine. You'll need to adjust the offset (drag it down so it sits withthe bottom below the baseline), and make sure there is no positive wrap value applied to the left edge of the image frame to avoid pushing it away from the text frame, but the that's probably a better choice for making a picture "drop cap" as it's actually anchored into the correct paragraph and will work at the top of a column.

• 4. Re: How do I use a picture as Drop caps?
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks for the addition, Peter. That was a reply I was hurrying to finish before I headed out of the house to the gym so I apologize the inaccuracy.

Now with CS5.5 I don't often have to visit that crazy dialog box. I can just drag to anchor.

• 5. Re: How do I use a picture as Drop caps?
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Also, if you have more than one of these, you probably want to do one by hand, then create an Object Style based on it, so that the rest of them are consistently formatted.