3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2011 2:17 PM by Todd_Kopriva

AE Rendering question

xmattnx

I am new to after effects, but not completely green on video editing or understanding codec's etc.

I purchased http://videohive.net/item/album-memories/461703 from videohive but I am having a difficult time exporting it/rendering it so I can even view its finished product.  What the end result is going to be is on a DVD playing on a 16:9 TV. It doesn't necessarily need to be HD although it appears my project is. My first rendering created a 25gb file that my computer wont play without choking on because I made the mistake of leaving it as an AVI and lossless, and then my second attempt greated a 1.65gb quicktime file that my computer still chokes on. I'd like to be able to export it to a file that can be played so I can get edit within premiere/add music etc. Any input or advice? As a new affert effects user I am a little shocked that its been this difficult. Although I'm a newbie to after effects specifically, I'm definatley not new to video editing and I've never had a video editing program give me so much grief.

• 1. Re: AE Rendering question
          xmattnx Level 1

by the way, the full project is only 2 minutes and 40 seconds.

• 2. Re: AE Rendering question
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/684381?tstart=0

Beyond that, simply differentiate between intermediary formats vs. delivery formats vs. the native working format of edit programs. Neither has anything to do with the other and they all require specific settings and procedures of their own. Formats like WMV and H.264 work well for desktop review, but that does not mean you would use them in your edit suite because they might not play at al lthere or the program still convert them to its native format. Same happens with your QT file or AVI. Anyway, this is an endless topic and I suggest you do a bit more generic research on the web.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: AE Rendering question
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> What the end result is going to be is on a DVD playing on a 16:9 TV. It doesn't necessarily need to be HD although it appears my project is.

First of all, note that DVD video is not HD. DVD video is a very narrow specification for SD video (using MPEG-2 video). If you're creating video for DVD, then you choose the MPEG-2 DVD option from the Format menu in the output module settings .

For information about choosing output settings, see this page and all that it points to.