2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2006 4:23 PM by onesandzeros.biz

Certain Components Are Flaking Out

onesandzeros.biz
      I have a complex application I'm working on. There are child MCs that have ComboBox and TextField components. TextFields will inexplicably stop allowing keyboard or mouse input (like they can't be have their enabled properties set to true, but they look as though they are enabled). ComboBoxes stop displaying their selected item's label, but still function otherwise (allow selection, drop-down, etc.).

I can't reproduce the problem consistently. The ComboBox, for instance, will still function when it's broken. That is, I can select items (even though the label shows as blank once the drop-down is closed) and I can read items and properties. The TextField gets loaded with text in ActionScript but is completely blank and does not respond to the mouse and doesn't give me a text cursor. It's driving me bonkers.

The worst thing about this is that the components will work sometimes and other times they just stop. It's different combinations of ComboBox and TextField wackiness at different times.

The application is fairly large. I've got a good portion of the common components in the library and there are plenty of icons for use on the buttons and about 20 MovieClips that are dynamically attached and removed as needed. I am using remoting which talks to an Apache server and PHP on the back-end. Most everything is working as I would expect, being an "alpha" quality app. But, those stupid components will just stop acting normal. The only way to fix it is to restart the SWF.

Has anyone see this in their own applications?
        • 1. Re: Certain Components Are Flaking Out
          Level 7
          Components never work well when child elements.

--

Dan Mode
          --> Adobe Community Expert
          *Flash Helps* http://www.smithmediafusion.com/blog/?cat=11
          *THE online Radio* http://www.tornadostream.com
          *Must Read* http://www.smithmediafusion.com/blog

"onesandzeros.biz" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:eigjei$6i0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have a complex application I'm working on. There are child MCs that have
          > ComboBox and TextField components. TextFields will inexplicably stop
          > allowing
          > keyboard or mouse input (like they can't be have their enabled properties
          > set
          > to true, but they look as though they are enabled). ComboBoxes stop
          > displaying
          > their selected item's label, but still function otherwise (allow
          > selection,
          > drop-down, etc.).
          >
          > I can't reproduce the problem consistently. The ComboBox, for instance,
          > will
          > still function when it's broken. That is, I can select items (even though
          > the
          > label shows as blank once the drop-down is closed) and I can read items
          > and
          > properties. The TextField gets loaded with text in ActionScript but is
          > completely blank and does not respond to the mouse and doesn't give me a
          > text
          > cursor. It's driving me bonkers.
          >
          > The worst thing about this is that the components will work sometimes and
          > other times they just stop. It's different combinations of ComboBox and
          > TextField wackiness at different times.
          >
          > The application is fairly large. I've got a good portion of the common
          > components in the library and there are plenty of icons for use on the
          > buttons
          > and about 20 MovieClips that are dynamically attached and removed as
          > needed. I
          > am using remoting which talks to an Apache server and PHP on the back-end.
          > Most
          > everything is working as I would expect, being an "alpha" quality app.
          > But,
          > those stupid components will just stop acting normal. The only way to fix
          > it is
          > to restart the SWF.
          >
          > Has anyone see this in their own applications?
          >
          >

• 2. Re: Certain Components Are Flaking Out
            onesandzeros.biz Level 1
            Oh, man, that wasn't the answer I wanted to hear. ( :