8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2011 12:49 PM by Peter Spier

Opinion Please!

Stix Hart Level 5

Can I have your opinion please, subjective seat of the pants as it might be...!

Which is faster to use, CS3 or CS4, on Windows XP?  I have a large catalogue that is CS5 is too slow to use for.  We used to only have CS3 as an alternative but I recently found a second hand copy of CS4 for sale, so we now have the option of that as well.  We're just about to set it up from scratch again because of a redesign so I'm wondering about using CS4 instead of CS3.

• 1. Re: Opinion Please!
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Functionality can beat raw run speed. Are you used to relying on CS4-only functions? Can you live without them and still work fast by doing things manually that you can automate in CS4?

• 2. Re: Opinion Please!
            Stix Hart Level 5

Well in this case it's a very simple catalogue, just grouped images and text boxes anchored in more text boxes, without any automation, so raw speed is what I'm after.  Using CS3 for it instead of CS5 was perfectly workable and painless, even though we would normally miss all the new features.

• 3. Re: Opinion Please!
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Which is faster to use, CS3 or CS4, on Windows XP?  I have a large catalogue that is CS5 is too slow to use for.  We used to only have CS3 as an alternative but I recently found a second hand copy of CS4 for sale, so we now have the option of that as well.  We're just about to set it up from scratch again because of a redesign so I'm wondering about using CS4 instead of CS3.

Does this mean you have a demonstrable and repeatable case of a performance regression from CS3 to CS5 (that perhaps still exists in CS5.5). I believe that would be of interest to "certain people." Can you provide a reproducible test case and reproduction instructions?

I find it hard to imagine that Adobe's volume license sales policy of 1-version back really means that you can't get CS4 working now that CS5.5 is out, but my imagination has often failed on such things before, plus policies outside the US have been known to have been...different.

I am skeptical that there have been any major performance improvements from CS3 to CS5.5, so if your question is merely raw speed of the basic program, I assume that CS3 is the "safer" bet. Of course, there are plenty of reasons not to use CS3.

• 4. Re: Opinion Please!
                Stix Hart Level 5

John Hawkinson wrote:

Does this mean you have a demonstrable and repeatable case of a performance regression from CS3 to CS5 (that perhaps still exists in CS5.5). I believe that would be of interest to "certain people." Can you provide a reproducible test case and reproduction instructions?

I definitely could but it'd be gigs in size and I just can't be bothered.  It's a fairly large document, my instinct is that CS5 takes a bit more processing power and our aging PCs just can't handle it as well.  The difference is easily noticable between CS3 & 5.  A machine with an Windows 7, an i7 processor and gobs of RAM would probably eat it up.

• 5. Re: Opinion Please!
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I personally find working in CS4 faster than CS3 because I make heavy use of smart guides to do things that require the use of the align panel or dragging guides in previous versions.

I'm not sure what sort of perfoarmance issues you might be seeing in CS5. Once files are open I don't see any lag compared to previous versions, though it can take longer to load the program or open/close a file from time to time. I'm quite sure I work faster and more efficiently in CS5 than in CS4 and find a lot of the new selection behaviors to be an improvement (though not everyone agrees with me).

• 6. Re: Opinion Please!
                    Stix Hart Level 5

I agree with everything you say, we find exactly the same and use CS5 for everything but this project.  But on this project it is just slow.  It hangs all the time, but it's not really a hang, more of a long pause while it thinks about what you're asking it to do.  It will do it in the end, you just have to wait.  It is worth noting that it isn't very fast in CS3 either, but there is enough of a difference to make it easier to use.  I still think that it's just that CS5 takes more processor power to run the program itself, and the size of the file is the straw breaking the XP camel's 3.5GB RAM back.

John's trying to get me to upload it but it's huge and our internet's very slow here in little old NZ, not to mention privacy issues, and the time it will take to do so.  Plus I would tell anyone else with the problem just to get a faster computer!

• 7. Re: Opinion Please!
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Did you try turning off preflight?

• 8. Re: Opinion Please!
                        Stix Hart Level 5

Yes, tried all that.  Keeping the pages panels closed helps a bit but many of the tasks involve using it.