6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2011 4:17 AM by Peter Spier

IN desing color/ bw output

Luzie_8

I am working on a book in Indesign.

I have 740 pages in total. I have black and white and color pages meaning Images.

I converted the black and white images in Photoshop to Grayscale files, before I imported the imges into in design.

As to reduce printing costs my printer asked me to make sure these single pages are safed as either color or black and white pages,

so the printer will recognice those pages and will print those according to their color/ black and white profile of the images.

I thought this will happen automatically since my photos, digital images are either in color or grayscale.

Apperently this did not happen.

My printer just told me all pages are having color profiles.

So I wonder is there a way in Indesign to give single seperate pages of my book

different color or b/w profiles? so the printer who will recieve a PDF from me does prints bacl and white in a black and white modus.

many Thanks

• 1. Re: IN desing color/ bw output
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is a tricky question, and to a large degree it depends on the equipment used to print. If the printer is able to recognize a balck only page, you should be OK to export a single PDF, as long as there are, in fact , no color elements on those pages. What trips up many users is that when they export to PDF thyey include some sort of printers' marks, either crops or page info, and these marks, when added in the export dialog, are are always colored REGISTRATION, and show on otherwise empty CMY plates, rendering the entire page as color as far as the printer is concerned.

My practice in this situation is to add any marks manually to the master pages (usually in the slug area which I include inthe export) and make them black only.

• 2. Re: IN desing color/ bw output
            Luzie_8 Level 1

Dear Peter,

indeed the printer is able to recognize a black only page.But somebody else made the entire indesing 740 Pages. I am only adding it.How can I control that crops and page info and marks? Are margins in this case the frame and page numbers informations which register as color?I am lot here since I dont know how to control 740 Pages.In case I have to check each single page. for page info ect. what is the best way to proceed?

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 17:59:03 -0600

To: violayesiltac@hotmail.com

Subject: IN desing color/ bw output

This is a tricky question, and to a large degree it depends on the equipment used to print. If the printer is able to recognize a balck only page, you should be OK to export a single PDF, as long as there are, in fact , no color elements on those pages. What trips up many users is that when they export to PDF thyey include some sort of printers' marks, either crops or page info, and these marks, when added in the export dialog, are are always colored REGISTRATION, and show on otherwise empty CMY plates, rendering the entire page as color as far as the printer is concerned.

My practice in this situation is to add any marks manually to the master pages (usually in the slug area which I include inthe export) and make them black only.

>

• 3. Re: IN desing color/ bw output
              Luzie_8 Level 1

slug area

My practice in this situation is to add any marks manually to the master pages (usually in the slug area which I include inthe export) and make them black only.could you please elaborate this please?

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 17:59:03 -0600

>

• 4. Re: IN desing color/ bw output

The marks that I mentioned are the one that InDesign addsfor you during an Export or Print operation for output when you turn them on in the Marks and Bleeds tab of the dialog. If you add things to the file yourself you set the colors for them at the time you add them.

Slug area is an additional space outside the trim area of the document (so anything in the slug are is going to get cut off when the printer trims your finished output). Open the Document Setup dialog and click the More Options button (if the Bleed and Slug fields are not showing) and add .375 to .5 inches (9-13 mm) of slug all around the document. This will add another guide outside the page boundary. You can put anything you want to in this area, but you should make sure it stays OUTSIDE the bleed area. When you make your PDF, go to the Marks and Bleeds options and chek the Include Slug Area box and what is inthe slug will be included (and the page size of the PDF will increase to hold it).

To add marks manually to all the pages you first create the slug area, then open the master page and add them to that (if one master is based on another, adding marks to the parent page will add them to the child pages as well). Anything you add this way should be [Black] and not any other color. Here's the upper left corner of a page with manual crops to show you what I do:

Manual Crops.png

You would only need to do this if the printer tells you he needs marks. If no marks are required, you should be OK doing nothing and just don't add any marks during export.

You can check any pages you like for colors other than black in ID before you export. If you are using CS4 or later you can make a custom Preflight profile that will flag pages with C, M or Y inks as an error (you want to see the error for pages that are supposed to be color, but no others), or in any version you can open the Separations Preview panel and turn on separations preview, then hide the visibility on the Black plate. For pages that should only be black, everything on the page should disappear -- anything left visible is color and will need to be fixed. You can do the same thing with your PDF in Acrobat Pro by turning on Output Preview and unchecking the box for the Black plate.

• 5. Re: IN desing color/ bw output
                  Luzie_8 Level 1

Dear Peter,

thank you so much for all your helpfull advice.

As I did look more into the file and also the person which worked on the first version, we found the following problem occured.

All Images in Black and white are Photoshop PDF files which were changed from colour to grayscale mode.

In Photoshop they have a grayscale mode, but once we imported these Images into Indesign they were read as RGB files.

So we both could not figure out what happend but think something must have changed by importing these Photoshop PDF s into indesign.

We did made a test and changed one Black and white Photoshop PDF into a Tiff once this is imported the profile was

a black and white one. Problem is the import would take up so much time since I would have to check every single page of a 740 Page document

with a newly imported tiff.

Any idea what we are doing wrong?

thank you!

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 04:24:08 -0600

The marks that I mentioned are the one that InDesign addsfor you during an Export or Print operation for output when you turn them on in the Marks and Bleeds tab of the dialog. If you add things to the file yourself you set the colors for them at the time you add them.

Slug area is an additional space outside the trim area of the document (so anything in the slug are is going to get cut off when the printer trims your finished output). Open the Document Setup dialog and click the More Options button (if the Bleed and Slug fields are not showing) and add .375 to .5 inches (9-13 mm) of slug all around the document. This will add another guide outside the page boundary. You can put anything you want to in this area, but you should make sure it stays OUTSIDE the bleed area. When you make your PDF, go to the Marks and Bleeds options and chek the Include Slug Area box and what is inthe slug will be included (and the page size of the PDF will increase to hold it).

To add marks manually to all the pages you first create the slug area, then open the master page and add them to that (if one master is based on another, adding marks to the parent page will add them to the child pages as well). Anything you add this way should be and not any other color. Here's the upper left corner of a page with manual crops to show you what I do:

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/81167/Manual+Crops.png

You would only need to do this if the printer tells you he needs marks. If no marks are required, you should be OK doing nothing and just don't add any marks during export.

You can check any pages you like for colors other than black in ID before you export. If you are using CS4 or later you can make a custom Preflight profile that will flag pages with C, M or Y inks as an error (you want to see the error for pages that are supposed to be color, but no others), or in any version you can open the Separations Preview panel and turn on separations preview, then hide the visibility on the Black plate. For pages that should only be black, everything on the page should disappear -- anything left visible is color and will need to be fixed. You can do the same thing with your PDF in Acrobat Pro by turning on Output Preview and unchecking the box for the Black plate.

>

• 6. Re: IN desing color/ bw output

Please remove the autoquote when replying by email unless you need to reference something in the previous message, and even then you should trim it. Your contact info is being posted to the web.

There is nothing about ID or Photoshop that would convert grayscale to RGB when placing images. Pasting them, or dragging from photoshop directly int ID, however, would give you the RGB screen preview instead of a link to the real image.

I suspect though that the images were RGB all along, and that whoever did the conversion applied a Black and White adustment, or possibly a monochrome Channel Mixer adjustment, and never actually changed the mode. Doing those things to an RGB image makes them LOOK like grayscale, but does not change the mode. Adding a Black and White adjustment to CMYK images DOES work with ID as all the image info is transferred to the black channel, but that won't help with your RGB files.