11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2012 1:14 PM by bosco7777

ADE on Window 7 & Acer A500

l1u9c8y8

I want to transfer a book from ADE on my desktop to LimiRead on my A500.  ADE does not recognise my A500 when I plug it in.

• 1. Re: ADE on Window 7 & Acer A500
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Check the list of supported devices

HERE<http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices>.

If it's not there, it's probably not gonna work.  Sorry!

===============

• 2. Re: ADE on Window 7 & Acer A500
            vermontskier

I have the same problem.  Digital Editions says that the Acer A500 is a supported e-Reader, but it does not appear when I tether it to my computer.  I have absolutely no problem with this when I attach my KOBO.  I am sooooo frustrated.  I'd really like to know what I need to do to get Digital Editions to recognize my A500.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: ADE on Window 7 & Acer A500
              l1u9c8y8 Level 1

Its nice to have company.  I've given up for the moment and plan to download books direct to my Acer, tho I must admit I've been busy on other things...including buying a Kindle.

• 4. Re: ADE on Window 7 & Acer A500
                Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Let's start with a couple of 'assumptions' - which is dangerous, but

probably necessary at this point.

First I assume that you have registered your A500 with the Acer website.  If

you have not, then it's not considered a valid device by ADE and ADE won't

acknowledge that it's there IF you've followed the normal steps to get the

A500 attached and recognized by Windows.

Which brings me to the second assumption.  If you have registered the A500,

you should have used your Adobe ID and password which will make it very easy

for ADE to interface with the device.

Now for the third assumption.  You've mentioned that a KOBO ereader works,

so I assume that you know how to attach an ereader: plug in the ereader to a

USB port, let Windows recognize the hardware and then tell you it's ready to

use, then start ADE.

If you've done all that and the A500 doesn't appear, stop ADE.  Then, on the

A500, start LumiRead.  Now start ADE again.  Did that make a difference?

=============

• 5. Re: ADE on Window 7 & Acer A500
                  bosco77777

I'm also having this same problem.  I subscribed to this thread a couple weeks ago, assuming there would be a quick resolution.  Not seeing one, I am adding a reply for Adobe/Acer to see that it's not just one or two people having this problem.  My local library uses the ADE books, and I would love to be able to read them on my tablet, one of the reasons for buying it.

• 6. Re: ADE on Window 7 & Acer A500
                    bosco77777 Level 1

I was able to find a workaround, at least for the Adobe DRM'd book I wanted to see.  Aldiko is listed on the ADE supported devices (http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices).  It is an Android App.  I installed it and activated my Adobe digital id inside it.  The tablet still didn't show up under ADE on my PC.  However, in Aldiko's support forum, they said to transfer books to it, save the .ascm file from the librarie's website, rather than opening it.  Then copy that file (it should only be about a kilobyte) to your tablet.  Then open that link up with Astro File Manager, and it should open Aldiko, and download the book.  I am now able to view the library book on my tablet.  I didn't try, but maybe if I had gone to the library's website from the tablet's browser, I could have downloaded the book directly.  I'll try that the next time I check out a book.

bosco

• 7. Re: ADE on Window 7 & Acer A500
                      Frustrated in AZ Level 4

IfI can add one other point....

Soapbox mode on

Many many different tablet makers, phone makers and ebook reader makers tell

you that you can read ebooks on their devices - but they don't tell you what

hoops you have to jump through to do it.  In Acer's case, it would appear

that their tablet can connect directly to sites with ebooks and interface

with them.  Because the A500 is an independent device - meaning it is not

tied to a particular ebook source - then their software will - or should -

have the ability to substitute for ADE by connecting directly to a source.

ADE, OTOH, lists the software on the device as supported, which I think

means that you'd have to connect with your computer via that software.  If

someone from Adobe can clarify this point, it would be helpful for this

tablet and probably others that use Aldiko, etc. as their ebook interfaces.

And, it would go a long way towards helping us understand how the Android

powered devices interface with ADE now - and in the future.

Soapbox mode off

==================

• 8. Re: ADE on Window 7 & Acer A500
                        miss.lissa.bb

OMG! I have been searching everywhere and was about to return my acer a500 for the reason that i couldn't read library books on it since ade didn't seem to work but this works just download those 2 apps and you're golden I wish I could help everyone with this problem. It took me 3 days of reading threads to find this answer, no one else has figured this out. I'm sooo happy!!

Download Aldiko and Astro File Manager

Then go to your library site, download the book straight to your tablet
                        Open Astro, click on downloads in the left side menu and click on your book, it'll open it with aldiko!

• 9. Re: ADE on Window 7 & Acer A500
                          l1u9c8y8 Level 1

Many thanks bosco77777.  I followed your advice and it worked a treat!  I'd given up and thought I'd have one more go.

• 10. Re: ADE on Window 7 & Acer A500
                            l1u9c8y8 Level 1

Well done miss.lissa.bb.  You get second prize!  The trouble is that the site I wanted to download from won't let me download directly to my Acer.  Bosco's solution was the happy alternive.

• 11. Re: ADE on Window 7 & Acer A500
                              bosco7777

Glad I could help.  My library now participates in the kindle lending program, and I found a second-hand kindle cheap, so that's my e-reader now.  I find the e-ink much easier on the eyes for extended reading of just text.  I still like the Acer for digital magazines and the like.

bosco