11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 7:34 AM by Nash_John

Text caused video to be choppy

sbjenks

New at this Adobe Premier Element 9 program.  When adding text to a video clip, on replay, as soon as the text appears on screen, the video becomes "choppy".  The audio appears to be unaffected.  The "choppyness" will continue about 3 or 4 seconds after the title ends, then the video becomes normal.  Any ideas?

Also, on the subject of adding text, the program does not seem to allow one to move text around the frame.  In my former editing program, Avid 15 (Pinnacle), you had full control over text placement and removal.  I'm having to re-add the clip because I am not able to remove the text from the frame.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, does Adobe offer ANY help on these problems, without paying?

• 1. Re: Text caused video to be choppy
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

When doing an overlay, like a Title, just Render that area (you can limit it to the WAB - Work Area Bar), for best playback quality.

As for moving Text, use the Selection Tool (the arrow), in the Titler, to move the Text, whereever you wish. Note, to get the Title into the Titler Panel, Dbl-click on the Title.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Text caused video to be choppy
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And, yes, Adobe does offer "reasonable" tech support at no charge for their products.

But you can often get the best "real world" solutions on forums like this and the community forum at Premiere Elements support sites like http://Muvipix.com.

• 3. Re: Text caused video to be choppy
              sbjenks Level 1

Thanks Bill.  This is a new concept to me - rendering only a specific area. I kind of thought that this might be a rendering issue, perhaps the rendering is done in background and not on the fly like it was done in Avid.  But when I reopened the project later in the day, I was surprised to see that nothing had changed.  I guess I need to read up on this WAB item you refer to.  Not exactly sure what that is.  Is this selective rendering covered in the documentation for this program?  If not, how do you specify to the program that only the 'titled' area needs to be rendered?

Would you consider this a bug that needs to be reported?  I'll be happy to do that. 

Thanks again for your assistance Bill.

• 4. Re: Text caused video to be choppy
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The WAB (Work Area Bar) is a little feature in the Timeline. It can be used for several things:

• Limiting the area of the Timeline to be Rendered
                • Limiting the area of the Timeline to be Exported/Shared, with most Export formats
                • Providing info on a the Duration of a group of Clips, or part of a Clip (very useful, when adding music)*

Here is a look at it, from PrE 4.0. Other than maybe the color of the GUI, it works the same in all recent versions:

WAB_Info_01.jpg

When one does any form of "overlay," such as a PiP, Titles, or even the areas covered by a Transition, that area will need to be Rendered for the smoothest possible playback. Now, in most cases, I find that my playback is just fine, and many Projects never get Rendered. However, and especially when doing Keyframed animation of Effects, I might Render one small segment many, many times, to see that animation as perfectly, as I can.

Good luck,

Hunt

* To get the Duration info, just hover the cursor over the little "box" in the center of the WAB

• 5. Re: Text caused video to be choppy
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I also thought that I had linked to this ARTICLE on Rendering, but do not see it above. Hope that this helps.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Text caused video to be choppy
                    sbjenks Level 1

Bill, I can't thank you enough.  I owe you a beer or two! Steve Jenks

> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:05:29 -0600

To: sbjenks@hotmail.com

Subject: Text caused video to be choppy

I also thought that I had linked to this http://forums.adobe.com/thread/794719?tstart=30 on Rendering, but do not see it above. Hope that this helps.

Hunt

>

• 7. Re: Text caused video to be choppy
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

If your Timeline is now playing smoothly, I'll take that beer. In the meantime, here's a toast with a glass of Chandon Chardonnay to your Project!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Text caused video to be choppy
                        sbjenks Level 1

Thanks Bill.  Wine is also good!  I am now nearly an expert on rendering now!  Works just fine.  Interesting the approach different companies use.

I noticed that this Premier product seems to lack some of the features I have been use to when using still photo's within a video.  Things like pan, zoom etc.

Maybe it is there and I just havn't uncovered it yet.  I also noticed on the Adobe web site I could have bought the Premier 9 Video AND Photo 9 for $15.00 bucks more than I paid for just the video product at Best Buy.  Guess it isn't really "Best Buy" afterall!  Well, live and learn.  I sent Adobe a little note to plead my case.  Maybe they will feel sorry for me!  Of course, I'm not even sure if having the Photo 9 software would give me some of the Photo control I am looking for on the video side.

Again, thanks for your help Bill. 

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:30:20 -0600

To: sbjenks@hotmail.com

Subject: Text caused video to be choppy

Steve,

If your Timeline is now playing smoothly, I'll take that beer. In the meantime, here's a toast with a glass of Chandon Chardonnay to your Project!

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 9. Re: Text caused video to be choppy
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can most certainly do panning and zooming and create motion paths in Premiere Elements, sb!

The process involves something called keyframing. I cover it step by step in a chapter of my book. But you can also see the basics in my free article "Basic Keyframing" at Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com. Just type "keyframing" in the product search box.

Make sure you download the PDF version. Not the blue mini-book.

• 10. Re: Text caused video to be choppy
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve (the OP, Steve),

I see that Steve G. has recommended his Basic Keyframing. I strongly second that rec.

Keyframing is a way to animate Effects (most Effects are Keyframable, and for those, that are not, there are usually little workarounds to get animation). Initiallly, the concept of Keyframing might seem a bit daunting, but once one gets their head around Keyframing, so much power and control opens up, as that concept applies to other Effects too.

While you are downloading the PDF, I would go to the Help File, and Search for "Keyframe." Read over that, and then read his PDF guide. That will give you the ideas, and also the mechanics. The Pan & Zoom are good places to begin, as one will just be Keyframing two Fixed Effects (automatically included in each Clip on the Timeline), Motion>Position (Pan) and Motion>Scale (Zoom).

As with some other animation (say, Title Roll, and Title Crawl), there are some Presets for "quick and dirty" animation, but I strongly recommend that one do the Keyframing manually, if for no other reason, than to learn. Once one knows exactly how to do it, then if the Presets work fine, use those, but one will know that they have all the power, by doing it manually. As an aside, the Presets pretty much assume that the "subject" on one's stills will be dead center. Sometimes, that works, but seldom for how I shoot stills. Also, the program does not have AI (Artificial Intelligence), so cannot pick up the real subject, and just goes by the numbers.

After one has experienced the mechanics of Keyframing, and has the concept down, then the only real limitation is one's own imagination. For Titles, for instance, one can add other Effects, such as Blur, and Keyframe that, along with Motion>Scale (Zoom) and Motion>Position (Pan). Another Fixed Effect, that I Keyframe often is Opacity. As an example, I might have a line of Text "drop" in from above the Frame (Motion>Position), while growing from 0 to 100% (Motion>Scale), but also starting out with a Gaussian Blur = 30, and sharpening to Gaussian Blur = 0. There might also be a "fade in" of that Text with Opacity going from 0 to 100%. All in one line of Text. Side note: there are some Presets for Titles too, such as Roll and Crawl, but they are limited to only one line of Text (to get more than one line animated, one creates a separate Title for each line), and are pretty much fixed by direction, and speed takes some effort, as that is fixed, and only altered by altering the Duration of the Title on the Timeline. With Keyframes, I can make my line of Text go at the speed that I want, in the direction that I want and both start and stop, exactly where I want. I do not think that I have used a Title Preset in about 10years.

I suppose that the above is just a very long way of saying "learn Keyframing," as it can do so very, very much. Each minute that you spend in that learning process, will pay dividends - sort of like that PSE program for $15...

Happy reading, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Text caused video to be choppy
                              Nash_John Level 3

Good to Hear that "You are an expert on rendering now."

And for moving the text (palcing it correctly) on your frame you can use the Titler tools as Bill said.

As well as you can also move the text dynamically while the video is played, by using any of the Text Animations available in Titler or you can create your own movements by even keyframing your titles.