6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2011 7:25 AM by screeen

SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card vs. Kingston ultimateX

screeen Level 1

Currently our household deploys 2 cameras, a Sony Cybershot DSC TX5 and a Nikon D90. The Cybershot uses a Promaster SDHC 4GB while the Nikon uses a Kingston 16GB UltimateX 100x SDHC.

Both these cameras are used for both stills and moving images, and i was wondering, does anyone know the differences between the above mentioned cards in all terms, and the SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card (other than the size, i  mean).

• 1. Re: SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card vs. Kingston ultimateX
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I don't know how critical these cameras are, but when using cameras like the Canon XF-300 or XF-305, Sandisk is the preferred brand. Extreme versus Extreme Pro give you the same functionality, including over- and undercranking, but the Pro version is almost double the price. The SD card on this camera for firmware updates and custom picture profiles that I use is the Sandisk 16 GB Extreme, not the Extreme Pro.

Admitted, CF or SD is of course incomparable, but if I were in your shoes, I would go for Sandisk, not Kingston, and depending on the price difference, I would probably stop at the Extreme version, not spend the extra amount on the Extreme Pro.

Just my $ 0.02

• 2. Re: SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card vs. Kingston ultimateX
            screeen Level 1

Hi Harm.

nice to hear from you.

Are you saying that Compact Flash is slower and less good than SDHC? I think

CF writes slower per second, but am new to these cards, (am old school -

miniDV tapes;)

SO, you'r saying go for SD. And the price issue you mention is quite

important, i will go for the non-Pro.

And what about codecs? Please excuse my ignorance here. Is the codec to do

with the card or the camera? I assume the latter, right?

So what are the prefered codecs for editing in premier? - but that takes me to

the new question i will have soon enough - which video camera to buy? And

what is the difference between editing footage shot off Nikon D90, Cybershot

and a proper video camera, keeping in mind that i'm not spending more than

$2K:)

• 3. Re: SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card vs. Kingston ultimateX
              Harm Millaard Level 7

As I said in my earlier reply, my experience is with video cameras, not with still cameras, that are also used for shooting video.

The Canon XF-300 series record in 4:2:2 colorspace using CF cards and MPEG2 codec with a compression of 50 Mbps. This differentiates it from other video cameras like AVCHD that record in 4:2:0 colorspace with AVCHD codec with a compression of 24 Mbps or even less. Or XDCAM-EX that record in 4:2:0 with MPEG2 in a MP4 wrapper at 35 Mbps. See http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/684198-REG/Canon_4454B001_XF305_Professional_Camcord er.html  This is not your intended price range, but only meant to show that a BBC Gold certified camera is capable of stunning images, even though it does not have the DOF of cameras with larger sensors.

The CF cards are capable of R/W speeds of 60 MB/s for Extreme and 90 MB/s for the Extreme Pro. In contrast, SDHC cards with Class 6 level are capable of R/W speeds of only 20 MB/s.

Your choice of cards is limited by the cameras you use. The codec is also camera dependent. Nothing you can do about that. It is a fact of life.

In general intraframe compression is easier than interframe compression. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression and the more compressed, the harder it is to edit. AVCHD is much harder to edit than MPEG2, but that is harder to edit than intraframe compressed material like DV or DVC. The extra confusing part is the bitrate used for the compression. Less compressed (higher bitrate) is easier to edit from a CPU point of view, but harder on the disk system.

• 4. Re: SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card vs. Kingston ultimateX
                RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, Compact Flash has some of the fastest speeds available in a flash memory card - about twice as fast as the fastest SD(HC) card. However, CF cards are much larger than SDHC cards, and use completely different electrical connections; thus, CF cards will not even physically fit the card slots of SDHC-only cameras.

The reason why Harm recommended SD for your particular cameras simply refers to the fact that your particular cameras accept only SD(HC) cards. (Well, the Sony DSC-TX5 can accept either an SD card or a Memory Stick Pro Duo card.) And he recommended the Extreme rather than the Extreme Pro because the performance increase of the Pro does not justify the price premium. Plus, some UHS-I (UHS Class 1) cards are not compatible with much SDHC or SDXC equipment (they, indeed, require equipment that is specifically designed for UHS cards). The current Sandisk Extreme has both UHS-I and Class 10 ratings, making it compatible with all SDHC and SDXC equipment. The Extreme Pro has no class rating but a UHS-I rating; thus, it requires UHS-specific equipment in order to work properly.

• 5. Re: SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card vs. Kingston ultimateX
                  Jim_Simon Level 9
                  SDHC cards with Class 6 level are capable of R/W speeds of only 20 MB/s.

As a point of interest, the new UHS cards more than double that.  We're currently using a SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Card in a Nikon D7000.  Works well.

• 6. Re: SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card vs. Kingston ultimateX
                    screeen Level 1

hi folks. thanks for all this input.

Thanks Harm, for input on codecs, i still need to do research on that.

And, I am heeding RjL's point, about CF cards being different dimensions entirely,

and the compatibility issue of cards and camera's, and i dont even know what

UHS is....will look it up too.